Friday, August 29, 2014

Girls Camp at Heber Valley

Every summer our local Church congregation holds a five-day camp for young women age 12-17. This summer was my 8th year going as an adult leader and I have been blessed to always have at least one of my daughters there with me.
Abby is a true source of entertainment--especially at Girls Camp.
This year we spent the week at Camp Rebekah in the beautiful Heber Valley Camp.
The lake was perfect.
Heber Valley was replete with wildlife. One evening a buck plopped himself down in the brush just a few yards from our large pavilion and stayed there for quite some time.
A doe and her fawn could be seen almost every night.
Our very first morning we awoke to the loud blast of an air horn. A bear had been spotted in camp and everyone was to remain in their cabins until he was far far away. Groggily I sat up in bed and stared out the window by my bunk. Within seconds I saw a brown mass move amongst the blurry forest backdrop. Frantically I grabbed my glasses and there he was! He even stood up on his hind legs for a brief moment before he lumbered off into the trees. Amazingly, one of our camp cooks snapped this photo of him right after he had overturned a trash can. (My cabin is one of two hiding behind the cabin on the left.)
Even though it rained almost every day, Camp was a great success. Many faithful and dedicated women and young women made it happen.

7 comments:

Deb said...

Gorgeous pictures, Julie! Looks like a fabulous time.

Treble Clef ♪ said...

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful photos. Especially like the last one! My girls call that 'Jesus light.' By all accounts from Bill and Cammy, Girls Camp was wonderful this year. Appreciate all your hard work on behalf of the YW. (Also, I so enjoyed your lovely talk at our ward conference a few weeks back.)

Treble Clef ♪ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie said...

A bear??? Yikes. It looks like a beautiful places besides that.

Pedaling said...

Holy Smokes...a Bear!

Love this post and your pics.

I think going there to Heber Valley would be a great option for girls camp.
Sure is extra special when you are there with one of your girls!

Whitney B. said...

Beautiful setting for the girls to feel the Spirit!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

We were so happy to see you this summer in between camp and missionary leaving! Great things are happening!