Monday, August 25, 2014

First Year Med Student

A week before Travis left, Kellie and Brian flew to New York City to get Kellie settled into her new apartment at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
(Kellie in Central Park)
This is what Kellie sees when she looks straight out her apartment window:
This is the view when she looks down:
This is Kellie's view when she walks out of her apartment building each morning--the tall brown building is where she has class every day:
 This is where she goes to church:


The Manhattan LDS Temple is about a 2.5 mile walk through Central Park from her apartment.
She took these photos from atop an apartment building adjacent to the Manhattan Temple:
(That tall brown building on the left across the park is her classroom building.)
Kellie is one brave soul to come to New York City all alone! I don't think I could have done it when I was her age. Classes started last week and she loves the exhilaration of learning so much in such a short period of time. She's already been in the anatomy lab doing dissections and what an emotionally challenging yet fascinating experience that has been.
She has explored the city on foot and on bike and even joined in on a pick-up soccer game one afternoon.
She was asked to play in a league game another night on Roosevelt Island under the lights. 
and rode the tram back home.
In a week and a half I fly to NYC for Kellie's Class of 2018 White Coat Ceremony. I'm excited to get a first hand view of her life for the next four years. We miss her so much, but know this is where she needs and wants to be.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love NYC. I dream of living there someday. I hope Kellie enjoys all her grand adventures!

Marianne said...

How exciting. I'm glad you get to go for her ceremony! (want some company??)

Saimi said...

Wow, Impressive young lady!!! The city life scares me, I'm a country girl so my hats off to your amazing daughter!!

Jacob and Kimberly Palmer said...

I meant to ask you how she was doing and forgot, so I’m glad to see this post! I’m so excited for her!! What a great adventure and it sounds like she’s doing amazing!