Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Atlanta, Georgia

A few weeks ago I traveled to Atlanta to see Rachel and David. It was so nice to visit their home for more than just a few hours and to truly get a feel for what their life is like there.
My first night we walked several blocks to The High Museum of Art where they were having an exhibition of Caldecott Medal winner Jerry Pinkney's work. Since Rachel and I both share a love of children's picture books, this was a fun surprise.
Museums are fabulous places of discovery. Being the crocheter that I am this unique chair designed by Marcel Wanders especially caught my eye. It is made of "crocheted fiber and epoxy resin".
This piece intrigued me as well.
But, this clock was one of the most fascinating pieces. A sign posted by the work explains, "Maarten Baas playfully captures the passage of time with his Analog Digital clock, a twelve hour DVD that runs on a loop. . .Only by looking closely at the numerals from the red LCD (liquid crystal display) does one observe that they were actually painted in and out by the designer in real time." We were completely mesmerized by the "ticking" screen. (It's available as a mobile app too.)
Rachel and David live in Midtown so they are within walking distance of many iconic Atlanta sites.
The Fox Theatre being one.
Also, The Varsity--the World's Largest Drive-in Restaurant.
Do you see the Coca-Cola headquarters in the background?
David is a graduate student at Georgia Tech in Biomedical Engineering. Saturday morning of my visit we walked the few blocks from their apartment to campus. It was Homecoming weekend and the Yellow Jacket fans were already tailgating. I enjoyed walking through the Greek Area where the fraternities and sororities were showing their pride.
One fraternity even had a pig roast.
The best part of the morning, however, was when Rachel and David took me to Sublime Doughnuts on the other side of campus. Oh my, oh my, oh my.
I consumed several of their fabulous donuts. The fresh strawberry 'n' cream donut was especially heavenly.
I am so grateful my Uncle and Aunt (Harold and Barbara) live in Atlanta as well as my cousin, Diana, and her husband, Omar. Rachel and David are in good hands.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for coming! I loved having you here.

Diana C. said...

I'm glad we got to be part of your atlanta visit!

Jennilyn said...

Those doughnuts look mighty fine! I did not know Diana was married?! Great photos!

Valerie said...

What a fun visit! My sister used to live outside of Atlanta and just moved back to Utah. I only got to visit her once while she was there.Seems there are so many things to see there.