Friday, July 19, 2013

La Brea Tar Pits

La Brea Tar Pits was the second stop in L.A. that Brian wanted us to see. Like our first stop, Brian went here on a field trip when he was in elementary school. At that time, however, it wasn't in the middle of a city.
"Asphaltum or tar (brea in Spanish) has seeped up from the ground in this area for tens of thousands of years. The tar is often covered with dust, leaves, or water." (Source)
Brian remembers these life-size models of mammoths. The poor mother has been caught in the tar! A sign posted by the pit states, "These seeps became unique death traps for countless Ice Age mammals and birds, making Rancho La Brea the world's richest deposit of Ice Age fossils. Over 100 tons of fossil bones have been recovered."
See that colorful house in the distance?
The crocheted facade was awesome.
Who knew I'd find this at the La Brea Tar Pits?

5 comments:

Jennilyn said...

Too fun--I wonder how long the yarn holds up outside, in sun...? I am enjoying your CA trip!

J. said...

I've never been, but now I want too and see that cool museum too.

Valerie said...

I've never been to the pits before. Looks like you guys had lots of fun. :)

Jenny Lynn said...

Cool museum. All that crocheting. WOW!

CB said...

I've never been to the tar pits. Kinda crazy. Loving the crochet house?? you found. Now that is unique!