Friday, April 19, 2013

Dear Rachel (#15)

Dear Rachel,

This picture of Linus is how I've been feeling this month--my birthday month even--lazy and unmotivated. I am fairly certain our rainy cold spring has had a lot to do with it.
You said you wanted a blog post no matter how uneventful life seems to be, so here it is.

******************
Kellie asked your dad to make a white chocolate cheesecake to celebrate her 23rd birthday. He obliged and it was decadently delicious.
Travis didn't really dress up for the auspicious occasion. He had just arrived home from a band concert. March was a busy musical month for him. Do you recognize this venue?
Yes, that tall percussionist on the left is your brother.
Here's a close-up of him during a solo/ensemble competition.

******************
Abby's science fair project made it all the way to the state competition at BYU this year. It was dark in the room where she spent the day so this photo isn't the best, but you get the idea. (She's always so cooperative when I take her picture, yes?)
Abby made each of the Faraday cages completely by herself and when she was done her fingers were quite sore.
******************
Travis has been doing track this spring. Lately he runs the 400-meter and the 800-meter. He has even competed in the high jump. I thought you might enjoy seeing him run the 4x400-meter relay. He ran the third leg and his team won.
video
Would you believe that your two youngest siblings spend a good hour outside on the basketball court with no squabbling whatsoever? They actually had a really good time together. Perhaps they are growing up.
******************
Finally, I will leave you with a view of the tulips in our yard. At least they are thriving in our chilly weather. I will try to follow their lead.

I love you and David lots!

Mom

6 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Rachel, that's the de Jong. :) Yes, we DO remember that your science fair project went all the way to state too. Didn't it involve making bread in a bread maker?

J. said...

I sorta feel like I'm intruding, but the splash of purple under the cat's head is just so cool. Sounds like good times.

Rachel said...

Ha. Well, it's been 2 years! Also, I really do love this post, it brings back lots of memories. And at the State science fair, to answer your question, I don't remember what my project was. I actually want to say it was the laundry one, but the bread one was certainly cooler. And Travis seriously has long legs.

Loves!

Jenny Lynn said...

Looks like you all have been busy. I would love to be lazy like your cat.

Garden of Egan said...

Love your flowers. Poor sad things in the cold. I really wish we could get some HOT days.

Looks like you are so busy! Good for your daughter and the science fair. They are so fun to wander through. Some seriously brilliant kids out there.