Sunday, March 3, 2013

My House Has Stars


My House Has Stars
by Abby

My house has trees, many kinds of trees and plants. Aspen and maple stand, their branches protruding and bearing glorious leaves that fill the ground and sky with arrays of color in the fall. Ivy crawls along weathered brick and flowers purple in the spring. Bushes grow along the perimeter, slowly lighting fire in the fall. Their red and pink leaves cast shadows in the evening. My house has trees.

My house has cats. They find nooks and crannies to curl up into. Sleeping the day away. Their fur is soft and their eyes are bright. Always searching for their prey, they scan keenly the area and often spot a mouse lying in the grass. They sometimes bring them home as presents. One is young and spry and was not long ago a kitten. She jumps and plays with anything that moves. The other is old and wise and never is too energetic, he watches and observes. But the oldest and wisest of all is always outside. He never leaves the rose bushes, or the soil where they are grounded. But silently he watches and observes beneath the shadows of the towering aspen trees. My house has cats.

My house has stars. They gaze at me in the night. Glowing green, yellow, orange and pink. They steal the light from the sun and gather energy from the light bulbs. On my ceiling they wait until night comes, where they can shine and release the stolen energy. But they glow for me at night scaring away the monster and demons that have barbed tails and gleaming teeth. So I lay there every night, underneath the stars. My house has stars.

11 comments:

Shannon said...

You have one talented daughter. Beautifully written!

Saimi said...

Not only is she beautiful, but she has talent! Very lovely!!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! Abby! You are amazing! I miss you! You are a very talented writer, wow. Please submit this to something. It was very beautiful. I think I may brag about you to my writer friends.

Haunani Thunell said...

what a beautiful and talented daughter...love this!

2busy said...

What a lovely writer she is! Just beautiful.

lesa said...

Abby, Thanks for sharing! I had fun reading it.

Jenny Lynn said...

That was very nice writing. She is amazing.

Amelia said...

Julie, it must make your heart warm to hear your daughter describe this way the home you have made for her!

Mrs.Spy said...

She has the gift, Julie! Love it. :)

J. said...

Oops. I don't think my comment got through so I'll try again. Sorry if it did. This is a really lovely piece. You must be so proud of her.

Lala said...

Absolutely talented and stunning!