Friday, October 26, 2012

Dear Rachel (#14)

Dear Rachel,
I really like this picture of Timp your Dad took with his phone last week. It was taken along the trail to Squaw Peak (the one that starts from the parking lot, not from Rock Canyon.) Since your Dad isn't teaching this semester he is much more flexible during the day. I was surprised one morning when he suggested we have a hiking adventure after the kids left for school. We didn't make it all the way to Squaw Peak--it took longer than we anticipated, but now we know which of the three forks of the trail to take next time.
******************
Basketball tryouts are on Travis' birthday this year so every day after school you'll find him at "open gym." Practice today produced a jammed finger and yesterday a sore back. Ever the clever one, he rigged up a system of keeping our old heating pad attached to his back while he did his homework at the kitchen counter. I couldn't help but chuckle. It reminded me of his solution to handling a runny nose.
******************
We are in high destruction mode downstairs as we redo the basement. So, Travis and Abby have to share a bathroom upstairs for a while. Horrors! I think it was Travis (again with the tape) that devised this arrangement so their "stuff" would never touch.
I like to remind them that this really is a "First World Problem" and that there should be NO complaining whatsoever. (I was introduced to that term recently, and, boy, does it help keep things in perspective.) Have you heard that phrase?

******************
Speaking of "problems", the cats do not like the weather getting colder. They are much more snugly and affectionate these days, and are always looking for new places to settle. Linus found our pile of clean clothes.
I suppose this would never become an issue if I would just fold the laundry as soon as each dryer load finished. Oh well. At least we keep the lint roller company in business.

******************
I'll bookend this letter with another view of autumn in Utah. This one is of the backyard taken from our closet window. The colors were so brilliant and beautiful on Monday. They will be nice to remember during the gray of winter.
I'm glad your Dad has meetings in Atlanta next week so he gets to see you--even if it is only for a day or two. Make sure he gives you the things I've sent along.

Love you and David lots!

Mom

12 comments:

Rachel said...

I love it! Thanks for the post! Travis is hilarious. He is a bound to be some sort of Engineer!

Dixie Mom said...

What a great post!

J. said...

The tape is great. And your spot on about the first-world problem idea. The closing picture was stunning! I got some good laughs and some beautiful imagery all in one. Thanks.

Lesa said...

I really love the last photo. Your Travis makes me smile. He is a lot like my youngest :)

2busy said...

Kids can be so clever. Did you get snow?

Haunani said...

I LOVE that you include these sweet "letters" to your daughter on your blog for all of us to read. The pictures are absolutely beautiful. And it sounds like fall at your house is as busy as it is at mine. Have a wonderful weekend!

Valerie said...

I love your "Dear Rachel" posts. It's fun to see a slice of your life.

Ginger said...

Oh! The laundry dilemma! Why is it that it NEVER goes away! lol... Although, since my clothing hoarder is off at college I've noticed my laundry has been cut in HALF! I'm not even kidding! :)

I love the photo of Mt. Timp. Gorgeous!

I hope your son's back gets to feeling better soon! That is never fun!

David Reece said...

While I like the tape idea, I would have just stuck the pad in my shirt and tucked it in. But to each their own. :)

Jenny said...

I think I need at cat now. My laundry pile would look so much cuter and I would feel like instead of being negligent I was helping keep animals warm and comfortable. Also, if I were Abby (or myself) I would be tempted to rearrange all Travis's bathroom things just because they are so perfectly organized and lined up. :)

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Great post! Don't you love little dates with the hubby when the kids are at school?! My favorite!

Michelle Lunt said...

Oh my goodness, the tape photos cracked me up! Especially the bathroom!

Warmly, Michelle
PS - I have heard of the phrase & It's a great thing to remember. :)