Monday, September 10, 2012

Boston

Brian travels to Boston at least once a year for his Virtual Labs so he was really looking forward to showing the kids this historic city during our "Education Vacation."
I insisted that our first stop be the Public Garden. The following day, however, we took a taxi from our hotel to Bunker Hill where we began our walk along The Freedom Trail. The famous words, "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes!" were believed to have first been uttered here during the battle of Bunker Hill in 1775 when the Colonists resolutely stood their ground against the British Army.
We trudged up the 294 steps to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument in sweltering heat and humidity and were rewarded with spectacular views of the city and harbor.
I never truly understood the term "weak in the knees" until we had descended and began our trek along the trail. It took several blocks for my legs to fully recover. 
The USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) was all decked out for Harborfest.
We walked crossed the Charles River and the Boston Harbor was right before our eyes. I couldn't help but imagine the scenes of that long ago tea party.
One of the most fascinating places (to me) along the trail was Copp's Hill Burying Ground and its curious gravestones.
The Old North Church was just down the street and is memorialized in Longfellow's famous poem, "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere."
Paul Revere's house was built circa 1680 and is the oldest remaining structure in downtown Boston.
In 1776, the Declaration of Independence was first read to the people of Boston from The Old State House balcony.
I find it fascinating how the city has been built up around this historic landmark.
Abby and Travis are standing on the cobblestone marker that signifies the site of the Boston Massacre. I didn't realize it was basically on the doorstep of the Old State House.
Red Coats and Mennonites were not far away.
The Freedom Trail ended for us at the new State House on Beacon Hill that overlooks Boston Common--pretty impressive golden dome.
Cheers to us for a day packed with history!

12 comments:

Dixie Mom said...

Love that! I want to go to Boston!

Lesa said...

I would love to go to Boston also. I like several pictures on your post, but I think the headstone with the bird on top is pretty cool!

Ginger said...

Wow! That is so neat! I think I would love that trip. Thanks for sharing it. I wish I liked to take pictures like you do.

Garden of Egan said...

Wow! That is awesome!
I would love to go there and enjoy that history.
I probably would have melted in that humidity climbing the stairs.

Looks like such an amazing time.

Sue said...

You captured everything. Boston is one of our favorite places to visit.

***you can pin anything you want from my site.

2busy said...

I love a vacation packed with interesting history. It has been so interesting to follow your travels this summer.

Valerie said...

I love US History! Thanks for sharing your tour.

Shannon said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! Greg used to work around the corner from the USS Constitution and just a few blocks from Bunker Hill. We walked the Freedom Trail several times and I never got tired of it. It's my favorite part of Boston. It still blows my mind that all that history is mixed right in with modern, everyday life in the Boston today. So cool!

J. said...

I almost feel like I was there. Love that old building right in the middle of the high rises!

Saimi said...

What a fantastic place to visit! Love all the History and historic places, very cool, very, very cool!

Lisa said...

I absolutely love Boston and all the history that oozes from this city. Beautiful photos!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Oh, how I love Boston and am so thankful I only live 40 miles from that beautiful city! Great photos!