Thursday, August 30, 2012

Rio de Janeiro

Rio is a modern bustling city--quite a contrast to the Brazilian resort town of Búzios. Of course, we were typical tourists and visited the Christ the Redeemer statue (one of the seven wonders of the world) and Sugar Loaf Mountain--two iconic images of Rio de Janeiro.
Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer)
Like our trip to Italy last year, there were throngs of people.
However, the views from the top of Corcovado Mountain were gorgeous.
Rio de Janeiro and Sugar Loaf from Cristo Redentor
The lagoon (with Ipanema Beach beyond) from Cristo Redentor
Me at Cristo Redentor
A cable car was required to ascend Sugar Loaf  Mountain. Sunset approached as we arrived at the top.
Copacabana Beach from Sugar Loaf
Rio from Sugar Loaf
Can you see the Christ the Redeemer statue in the distance?
Perhaps if I zoom in . . .
******************
We stayed at the J.W. Marriott on Copacabana Beach. It was a welcome luxury. The cool ocean water was pretty rugged. The strong cross currents and under tow kept us from venturing too far out.
Brian with our beach set-up
Copacabana Beach looking south
Copacabana Beach looking north



Vendors like these were omnipresent on the beach selling everything from jewelry and henna tattoos to hats, sunscreen, and bikinis.
Here are a few other images of Rio that caught my eye:
After I took this picture, the artist insisted I drop some money in his cup.
A pet pig on the sidewalk in Rio
These seemed to be the snack of choice in Brazil.
A fairly nice favela on the slope of Corcovado Mountain
I smiled at these birds resting in the trees, but then I noticed the dam of trash.
My dad was a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in Brazil in the 1950s and traveled there a couple more times during his career with the Organization of American States. In fact, I have a beautiful Brazilian doll he brought back for me when I was a very little girl. I never imagined I would have the opportunity to visit this country myself one day.

Brian caught me humming "The Girl from Ipanema" over and over again while we strolled up and down the streets of Rio. My dad often played that song on the piano when I was growing up. Its catchy tune always made me sing along.

As with any place, there is great beauty and there is great sorrow. The favelas (shanty towns or slums) were difficult for me to comprehend, and they were everywhere around Rio. I came away grateful for my simple abundant life.
Copacabana Beach
This is my "happy place"--my picture of tranquility. I'm so glad I was able to experience the Brazilian version.



16 comments:

Marianne said...

Beautiful images! The blues are amazing.

I'm so glad you had the chance to go to Brazil and that you've shared some of your adventure. It looks like you had a wonderful time.

Mrs.Spy said...

What a trip! Isn't the world such an amazing place? I am loving your posts about Brazil. :)

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

What a wonderful trip! Great pictures.

Sue said...

Such a beautiful place, and I understand the next summer Olympics will be there.

That sandcastle is pretty amazing. And I love the statue of Christ.

=)

Valerie said...

Love the pictures~ what a great trip!!!

2busy said...

The beaches look breath taking. Is it bad that I recognize the statue from the Twilight movies. I'm so well traveled. (insert sarcasm)

Dixie Mom said...

Just Wow.

Mom to Many said...

What a beautiful place.
And what a cool sand castle!

Deanna said...

What stunning views and images...this is definitely on my bucket list to visit Rio. Wonderful vacation!!

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Fantastic photography of a beautiful place ~ Great for you and your family ~ (A Creative Harbor)

I had the same reaction in China to the poverty stricken areas ~' the poor are always with us'

Nancy Claeys said...

Love the statue photos -- I've always been impressed at its beauty.

" Hit It......." said...

Beautiful pictures. How fun. I am dying to be on that beach!

Deborah said...

great captures ...
I visited Rio de Janeiro in what seems like two life times ago ...
had forgotten how beautiful it is!

kkkkaty said...

Nice to see Rio up close and personal..beautiful shots!!

Danielle said...

What beautiful memories of a beautiful country. Nice photos.

Stampmouse said...

what an amazing journey. thanks for sharing a small part of it