Thursday, August 9, 2012

Make Way for Ducklings

The place I was most looking forward to visiting in Boston was the Public Garden and the statue honoring Robert McCloskey's famous "Make Way For Ducklings". I am certain I have read that book to my children hundreds of times.
The story has been a favorite of mine since childhood. Not only did my parents read it to me, but with fondness I remember following along as I listened on our record player. The narrator knew just how to pronounce all the ducklings names: Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Oack, Pack, and Quack.
I was so excited to see that there really are swan boats in the Public Garden. . .
and ducklings . . .
 and mama ducks doing their thing.
The sign reads, "Mallard Duck Nest--Please Do Not Disturb."
I was happy to find the "little island" where "when night falls [the ducks] swim to . . . and go to sleep."
I think, perhaps, it is a rare occasion when a fantasy of childhood and the reality of adulthood greet each other in such a peaceful and satisfying way.

9 comments:

" Hit It......." said...

Looks like a fun place to visit. I haven't thought of that book for years. What a fun trip! :)

Sue said...

What a beautiful spot, and I love the sculpture.

=)

Ginger said...

Wow! I would LOVE to see that! I think swans are SO beautiful... thanks for the pictures. I can see exactly what you mean about fantasy of childhood meeting the reality of adulthood. So fun!

Lesa said...

I really like the first picture. I am glad you got to go there!

Marianne said...

What a sweet, sweet post. I love you!!!

Garden of Egan said...

FUN!!!!
I love it.

Such cute kiddos too.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Wonderful! Thanks for the pictures!

Amelia said...

I love that book.

Kazzy said...

A warm and nostalgic post!