Friday, July 27, 2012

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

After we settled into our friend's apartment in Midtown, we set out to explore as much of New York City as we possible could. We purchased a map, oriented ourselves with the subway system, and headed off towards Central Park.
It truly is a lush oasis in the city. The kids begged to rent the rowboats and since they were reasonably priced we opted for the memories. Kellie got first dibs on the oars. Travis was not amused.
Eventually it was his turn.
We met the Mayor of Strawberry Fields and . . .
found Alice in Wonderland.

We had dinner at the famous Katz's Deli on Houston Street (pronounced House-ton we discovered)
and called it a night after wandering through Times Square.


7 comments:

2busy said...

I'd love to go there someday. It does seem so large and overwhelming, though. Beautiful pics.

Marianne said...

I'm loving this vacation!! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

That is enough meat on Kellie's sandwich to feed a small country!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

What a great family trip to the big city! My sister in law lives right across the street from Central Park and we need to make a trek in there and row, row, row a boat in that lush little oasis!! We've never done that. My kids love the ferris wheel in Toys R Us in Times Square - so much to see and do in NYC!!

Thanks for linking up today, Julie!!

Garden of Egan said...

So amazing. What a triP to remember.

Jenny Lynn said...

Rowing boats, what a treat. Your trip makes me want to plan one for my family. NY is on my list of places I want to travel to. As well as two of my daughters. Who recently told me they want to go live there.

Have a beautiful day.

Sue said...

I once wrote a poem about that very sculpture:

Finding Brillig
AKA Rocking the Jabberwock
©2003 Susan Noyes Anderson


We all step through the looking glass,
but each one takes a different ride.
Some fall head-first like Alice did,
while others choose a measured stride.

Who trusts enough to nibble life
will grow or shrink accordingly.
Who waits and watches from afar,
will likely find herself at sea.

Beware the Jabberwock, indeed,
but neither yield nor disappear.
Just glance back through the looking glass
and wave and whisper, "I'm still here!"

∞§∞

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop."
–The King, Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll