Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Monuments

Jefferson Memorial
These majestic monuments never fail to inspire in me a sense of nostalgia and American pride. I grew up in their shadow and have so many wonderful memories venturing to the National Mall with family and friends on many many occasions. No matter how old I get they represent true patriotism and sweet memories. Washington D.C. was the first stop on our two week "Education Vacation" as I've dubbed it.
Washington Monument
We dragged my niece, Kara, along for the sight-seeing. I'm so glad my sister and her family still live in Northern Virginia.
Cousins Abby and Kara on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial
The Lincoln Memorial is always impressive despite the reflecting pool being out of commission while renovations are being done.
The Lincoln Memorial
I really like this shot of Kellie taken as she was reading an inscription on an interior wall.
Abby at the "The Wall"
No matter how many times I've seen it, "The Wall" (Vietnam Veterans Memorial) is always sobering. I caught my family's reflection in the black granite as they were walking towards the Washington Monument.
Travis, Kellie, Brian and Kara reflecting
The only monument we hadn't seen before was the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
Kara, Travis, and Abby
By this time the heat and humidity had sucked all the energy out of the kids. They retreated to any shade they could find. We had exhausted all the monuments we could. The Korean War Veterans Memorial, World War II Memorial, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial were others we explored.

We only had two days in D.C. and I just KNEW we couldn't get away without visiting an Air and Space Museum. That and the Holocaust Museum are coming up next.

8 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

To be able to see that is on my bucket list!

Valerie said...

This is my dream trip!!! So many wonderful things to see, do, experience.

Shannon said...

I'd love to go back there someday. Thanks for the pictures!

JennyLynn said...

This is a trip I would love to take. The kids really do look like the heat and humidity zapped them.

E. said...

I would like to go back there someday. My experience of being in that area was in high school and I know I didn't appreciate all there was to see and learn.

Chell said...

Fab pics! Thanks for sharing! WOuld totally love to visit there myself some day...

Ginger said...

That's so neat! Someday I will get to go visit all of those places... :)

You can sure tell Abby and Kara are related. They look like they could be sisters.

What a fun trip!

Sue said...

Someday, I will visit them all.

=)