Thursday, June 14, 2012

Hill Air Force Base Museum

I am surrounded by airplane enthusiasts. My brother is a pilot and if my husband wasn't a chemistry professor, I suspect he would find his professional way into a cockpit as well. Although it isn't the National Air and Space Museum (which I have spent numerous hours in despite the fact that I prefer the Museum of American History) Utah's own Hill Air Force Base Museum is pretty awesome. Brian says it has an "outstanding collection of airplanes--a surprisingly good one for Utah."

Anytime we are traveling north on I-15 Brian tries to get us to stop for a "quick" tour. Of course, Travis and Abby have caught the aeronautical bug so they listen intently to all of Brian's explanations.
I caught snippets of "roll, yaw, and pitch" in this lesson. As for me. . . well. . . I enjoyed the photographic opportunities.
I am constantly amazed at how easily Brian can identify ANY type of aircraft he sees. Both he and my brother have that skill--whether the plane is soaring amongst the clouds or resting quietly in a museum graveyard.


Hill Aerospace Museum is free (which always appeals) and not only are there planes outside, but there are several hangars to explore inside as well.
In September many of the planes are open to the public. Last year (after a soccer game) Brian and Abby were able to go inside the cockpit of a B-29. In Brian's words, to see the original wood and electronics from a World War II aircraft was "pretty cool."
I had a much better time than the look on my face suggests, but I needed at least one photo to prove I was there. Kudos to me for being such a good wife and mother. :)

15 comments:

Ginger said...

That's so cool! My Grandpa was a radio operator on a B-25. I would love to see a picture of one besides the grainy photocopy I have of him standing in front of one.

Your husband sounds like he is a pretty smart guy and knows a lot about a lot of different things! What a fun day it looks like you had!

Shannon said...

I had no idea your family liked aeronautics so much. My dad and one brother both have their pilot's licenses, but just to fly the little Cessna types. What a fun trip for you all. I love museums, but the kids are not nearly as excited by them. Most tolerate or even enjoy (Steven!) them. One makes the whole experience not so fun for every one else (I won't tell you who, but his starts with a J!).

Deb said...

We will definitely be making a trip up there this summer. Thanks for sharing!

Kirk Stoker said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun. Wish I could have been there. I love seeing Brian explaining the tail of that Beech 18 to Abby and Travis. Just like a professor.

Susan R said...

What a treasure. I think we may have a museum like that around here. You just gave me another idea to add to our summer outting list.
Funny thing about men...get them near any manner of technology and they quickly become experts and want to pass on every last bit of information they know to whomever will listen. Looks like your husband was keeping them entertained though.

Sue said...

Looks like a pretty interesting stop! And you got some great pics, too.

=)

J. said...

Who knew that was there? My son would love that. So would my husband for that matter. Thanks.

Suzanne said...

Our husbands have this in common. Not only is he an airplane enthusiast, but he is also a private pilot. He would love this!

Lisa said...

Huge kudos...what a trooper you are!

Valerie said...

I lived near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio a lot of my growing up years and we'd go there to look around and sometimes for air shows and it was not my favorite thing, to say the least, but my dad enjoyed it. I have only gone to Hill once and it was so small compared to Ohio. My kids weren't too interested so we haven't been back. Lots of history there though.

Mom to Many said...

What a fun trip. I am amazed at times when I look over head to see unusual plane going over. (We saw one with a double tail the other day over the splash pad.) It is more and more rare. We had a big old bomber go over our house way down low on it's way to an air show years ago. All of my children stood transfixed looking at it as it went over. Then I looked and saw the baby trembling and crying. He was too little to appreciate it. I'll bet my children would enjoy a jaunt to see the planes. Thanks for sharing.

Dixie Mom said...

Sometimes that boy-stuff can be pretty darn interesting. Great pictures of a fun field trip!

Life is good! said...

I took a few field trips with my children back in the day to visit those planes. It's a great place to visit. Kudos to you!

Dean and Sheri said...

Oh, my! You were a mere hop, skip and jump from me! Sure wish I'd have had the inclination to drop in there with to possibility of running in to you!

Dean and Sheri said...

Just proofed my comment AFTER publishing...another mistake I often make in my haste.