Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Holes No More

Why, oh why do so many TOMS shoes end up with holes in the toe? I shouldn't be surprised since they are made out of canvas, but when Abby refused to wear hers after only a few months (because they were such a mess) I was a bit irritated. They had cost a "pretty penny"!

I hadn't even thought to repair her holey TOMS, but when I came across the idea to do so on Pinterest I thought I would give it a try. I used this tutorial as my reference, although I did a few things differently.

Abby chose a blue swatch of home decor fabric I had on hand for the repair. I started by using a rotary cutter to make a perfectly straight fabric edge. This I lined up along the diagonal seam on the toe of each shoe, and attached it using fabric glue. I stuck pins in the gluey edge to help it bond completely.

The bottom edge was next along with more gluing and pinning.
(Abby said it looked like a torture chamber at this point.)
When that was dry I carefully cut along the bottom edge of the shoe, folded the fabric at the toe in the traditional TOMS manner, added more glue and pins, and waited.

They didn't look too bad. I must admit I was skeptical, but Abby was thrilled and excited to wear them to school. Her friends even asked if she had gotten new shoes.

She simply smiled and said, "maybe." :)


sew many ways

12 comments:

" Hit It......." said...

What a great idea! I get irritated too when my daughter gets holes in her Toms because they are pricey. When she wakes up; I am showing her your blog. Thanks!

Life is good! said...

i love seeing on pinterest all of the toms transformations! they look better after, i think!

Marianne said...

AWESOME. Way to go, Mom!!!

Sue said...

Now, that's an impressive save!

=)

2busy said...

Great idea and way to repurpose!

2busy said...

Or just revive...

Mom to Many said...

Good job Mom! What did you use? Maybe shoe goo?

Jenny said...

Way to be awesome! Tell Abby TOMS is like 1.5 million shoes behind in giving to Africa and to find a new trend. :)

Saimi said...

Check you out Julie! Wow, girl I'm impressed!!

Valerie said...

Glad she liked it! And you did a great job.

ruthie said...

Love that idea! I love makeovers and I'll remember that one when my Toms wear through.

Susan R said...

Okay...you are officially the coolest most nifty person I have never met.
This is cute, it's thrifty and it's just flat out amazing. Take that TOMS.