Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dear Rachel (#9)

Hi Rachel,
The other day your sister was preparing an omelet for her dinner. This wasn't just a plain old egg omelet, but one with red peppers, onions, and bacon. Of course, after a few chops, the onion began stinging her eyes. Quickly she disappeared into the garage and rounded up the swim goggles. Problem solved.

******************

Last week Travis had state solo/ensemble competitions at Lone Peak High School. Guess who we saw on the band room bulletin board?  . . . YOU!!!
Yep, your momma loves that poster.

******************

I changed up the mantel again. What do you think?
It evolved into a monochromatic nod to family history. I'm not sure why. Perhaps, it is because Kellie has started indexing the 1940 Census. Did she tell you? She actually really likes doing it, and I don't mind being called to her computer on occasion to help decipher names.

Now, back to the mantel. Do you remember the silver teapot and sugar bowl that belonged to Grandma's "Granny"? Those books are from the late 1940s and you've seen the picture of my dad playing the piano when he was a teenager. The silver bowl on the right has been hiding in the cupboard for years. It is engraved with my name and "Outstanding Business Student" 1981-82 (my senior year of high school.) By the way, does it really look like that wreath is held up by duct tape? Both your dad and Kellie asked on two separate occasions! Duct tape? Really? It's silver ribbon for heaven's sake!

******************


We all miss you and David a ton. Tell him good luck on his qualifying exams. Love you!

Mom

13 comments:

JennyLynn said...

The goggles are a great idea...I gotta remember that the next time I am chopping onions.

I really hate admitting this, But I would have taken the post. LOL...

Sue said...

Had to laugh at the goggles, but hey...if it works!

As for the silver ribbon, I thought it was a metal wreath holder!

=)

Shannon said...

I thought the ribbon was metal wreath holder, too. Cute goggles, too!

2busy said...

I, for one, think your mantel looks great. The goggles are genius!

Valerie said...

Love the goggles! What a problem solver. Great quality.

And my son went to the competition at Lone Peak too. :) How fun.

Marvett Smith said...

I love that she put those goggles on. Genius! I'm definitely going to try this. I think she's onto something!

Love the mantle. You are so creative!

Marla Grace said...

Very smart with the goggles!!! Love the mantle:)

Rachel said...

a) My roommate used lab goggles. I use contacts

b) Who knows where else that poster is...

c) At first glance the only thing that looks familiar on the mantle is Grandpa's picture. But the silver stuff is awesome. I want antiques. And no, that is not duck tape. It is too skinny.

d) Abby and Travis look old. Young, not the the old sort that I am. Very handsome and very beautiful.

Lesa said...

I always love when you show your mantel.

Life is good! said...

I love, love, love your mantle. i think i am the only home in the state of utah without a fireplace. oh how i would love one, just to decorate!

Life is good! said...

Julie, sorry I tried to email you but I could not. I don't sell cookies but I would love to have a reason to make more. You provide ingredients and I'll do the work. Maybe you'll have better luck contacting me at my email, kaybowden05@yahoo.com. I live in Murray. Let me know, I really would love to make some! Kay

Maple Lane said...

Hi Julie, I found you via Kay's blog and just wanted to say hi. I live in GA. I got a giggle out of the goggles! Your mantle looks great; you have given me the inspiration to change mine up a bit. I've signed on to follow you. I wish you a happy Monday! Mildred

Chell said...

I love the goggles idea! I thought it was a wreath holder that was metal.... Love the new look of the mantel!