Friday, April 13, 2012

Latest Diversion

This project is my new favorite down time/waiting time activity. I like it because I can completely crochet around a baby burp cloth in about an hour. It is quick, easy, and almost mindless--no counting stitches involved.
The beauty lies in the chenille yarn. It simply involves single crocheting once around the previously hemstitched edge. One row is all it takes! It's a fun modern look.
When my grandma first taught me how to crochet around receiving blankets, I had to poke my hole through the flannel with each stitch. Now, I simply purchase the previously hemstitched burp cloths (or bibs or blankets) at a local fabric store and I am good to go.
Periodically, I feel like using traditional embroidery thread and crocheting a more involved edge.
(the rick rack stitch)
(the basic shell)
However, this new method fulfills my need for instant (crafting) gratification.

I like having a stash of homemade gifts on hand for my friends and family who recently have had babies. It also makes me feel productive while waiting for the kids' games and events to start. Happy crocheting!



I Heart Nap Time Home Stories A2Z Tip Junkie handmade projects

25 comments:

Luke, Arika and Emma said...

So cute! And I love, love, love, the ones you gave to me :)

Kristin said...

So adorable - yep! They are . . .

Kristin

Momza said...

So cute. I need to learn how to do that!

lesa said...

I love to make these also! You do a great job on yours.

2busy said...

That looks lovely! I had a friend who crocheted a receiving blanket edge like that for my daughter. It was a treasure gift. I need to learn how to do that!

Ginger said...

That sounds like something I could actually do! Thanks for sharing. You do a beautiful job.

Sue said...

Well done.
The crocheting makes them so much cuter!

=)

Marianne said...

Those are SO CUTE. I wish I knew how to crochet.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Beautiful! You've got skills!

Amelia said...

These are all so beautiful. I only crocheted around one burp cloth and it was before I had my first baby. I didn't want to do the poke-through thing and I was using the material from one of my favorite flannel nightgowns from when I was a teenager. I crocheted an edge (not connected to the cloth) with an extra row and actually sewed it in between the two pieces (like you would a ruffle around a pillow)! Your way is so much easier. Doing it my way, I can see why I only made one!

Cherie said...

I love that chenille yarn - it creates that pretty fuzzy edge - very cool!
All are so cute!!

Susan R said...

Oh those are so darn cute. I wish I knew how to crochet or knit because I really want to make those too.

J. said...

Wow. Amazing. I'd love to learn these things. I'm sure to you they are easy, but to me they look very difficult. I admire this type of talent excessively. Maybe someday I'll learn, but for now I can at least admire.

Hilary said...

LOVE the chenille, I even pinned you!

ruthie said...

They are darling! I love that type of yarn. It makes such a difference.

Marvett Smith said...

Gorgeous Julie! You are so talented. I love seeing your projects!

Jennilyn said...

I am going to have to try this! I bet it would look great around a receiving blanket, too! No source of hemstitched ready-to-buy out here, unfortunately. I've been using a big needle tied onto a ring on my right hand to "punch" through the flannel before crocheting. First row takes a long, long time, but then fast.

JennyLynn said...

Those are so cute, I love to crochet. But will have to admit that I don't know how to make these.

hannahw said...

Those are great! Here is my Sundae Scoop post: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/bell-bottom-baby.html

Chell said...

Those are so adorable!

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust said...

These are so cute. Thank you so much for linking up on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

Warmly, Michelle

Leslie said...

These are lovely! makes me think of crocheting beaded trim on socks for my daughter when she was a toddler! Thanks for the warm fuzzies, happy Mothers day!

jkrout said...

What brand is the dark brown? Love it and can't find anything like it. Where did you find it? Love the pink also, are they the same brand? Thanks,

Deila Taylor said...

How fun to run into your blog! I was searching for crochet tips -- since I am using that same method as you for a baby blanket. I am using that fuzzy yarn and saw yours -- so cute.

CherBear13 said...

I am so excited to try these! Can I ask what size crochet hook you used and what brand/weight of the chenille yarn?