Friday, March 23, 2012

Dear Rachel (#8)

Dear Rachel,

Lots of changes are taking place on BYU campus these days. This is the view from the south end of campus (or Cardiac Hill as we called it in my day.)
Do you recognize the route you used to walk?

The house your dad lived in when we were dating (Oz) was on this hillside. Of course in more recent years it was a parking lot, and soon it will be the home of the new Life Sciences Building.
Look! I just found an old picture of Oz (no idea how the house got that name.) Do you see your dad's baby blue VW Rabbit in the carport?
Oz, circa 1984
Several of the old Heritage Hall buildings were torn down this winter as well (those closest to The Creamery on Ninth) to make way for new and improved dorms. Maybe I will post pictures of that construction in my next letter.

******************

Your brother finally got his driver's license. Basketball season delayed that process a bit, but now he is official. I don't think you ever saw the new-to-him car he gets to drive. Of course, it is a Honda CRX. Would your dad get anything else?

******************

And, finally, we are trying to talk your dad into putting a garden in this year. All we ask is that he be the principal muscle behind the digging up of the yard, hauling of dirt, etc. We will do the rest. During church Abby sketched a picture of our "happy gardening family". I wonder if it will do the trick. 
Enjoy Atlanta's real spring weather for me this week. (I'm a bit jealous.)

Love you and David lots!

Mom


11 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh! I hope you plant a garden! Abby's picture looks great. And Travis, that is one cool car! People still come up to me and tell me that my car is cool, and it doesn't even compare to yours.

And I had no idea the new life sciences building was going to take up that much space! Woah. Where does Dad park now? Is his view going to be lame once it is built?

Loves. Thanks for the letter.

Dixie Mom said...

Wow...look at all that construction. My daughter is going to be surprised when she gets home too!

Ann Marie said...

I love the sketch! Soo cute!
Hope you get your garden... ♥

Happy warm weekend!

I'm off to plant peas!

lesa said...

Great post!

Shannon said...

I love these letters and they aren't even to me!

Congrats to Travis. Joseph turns 15 today, so we're starting another round of learners permit stress. (He thinks he's driving home from the DMV. HA!)

Good luck with the garden. We have some spring things in. It's work, but it's the best therapy there is. It's also a great weight loss plan. I'd rather be out there than eating lunch and I'm burning calories while not adding any. Win-Win!

Sue said...

Love your fun drawing!

=)

Garden of Egan said...

Oh I love the drawing!!!
I think if you give it to him and also guilt him via blogger, that should do the trick.
If it doens't, he's a heartless soul and has a phobia against dirt.

Cute letter!
BYU-South sounds like it's changed like BYU-North.

Ginger said...

I love the picture. It's so cute and she really has quite a talent! She should draw clip art for the computer! :)

Congrats to your son on his driver's license. So exciting! :)

Betty said...

I vote for the garden.

Marvett Smith said...

:) Love that picture at the end. I hope you get your garden!

Mom to Many said...

I hope you get your garden. :o)