Friday, March 9, 2012

$2.00 Treasure

What is it about bargain hunting that can make me feel so giddy? The anticipation, the excitement, the rush that comes from simply crossing the threshold of a store can spark it.

I remember with such fondness shopping the outlets in the Bay Area while Brian was in graduate school. These were actual manufacturer's outlets (not the outlet malls that are now sprawled across the country) like Sweet Potatoes, Mousefeathers, Esprit, Crate & Barrel, and Folkmanis Puppets to name a few.

My friends and I would plan excursions together into San Francisco (strollers in tow) to find the best possible deals. Great memories.

These days I must be content to search for bargains on the end of season clearance racks or at my local thrift store, D.I. (Deseret Industries). I used to be only a once-a-year patron of D.I., but Rachel changed all that. Atlanta is chock-full of Goodwill stores, and at least once a week she calls me with an amazing find in perfect condition. This week I got to call her.
Yes, I found a retired American Girl Doll, Samantha, at D.I. for only $2.00!

I had just walked in and proceeded to the back of the store to my usual starting place. A full cart (fresh from the back room) was waiting to be unloaded.

There she was just lying there. I let out an audible gasp and reached for her. No way! My heart was racing. I started walking in circles searching for perhaps any of her accessories? I called Rachel and she was noticeably in shock as well. I needed someone to share my unfathomable luck and fortune with and her reaction didn't disappoint.
You must understand, that people are crazy at my local D.I. As soon as carts are wheeled from their sorting place onto the floor people scurry after them and reach and grab like frantic animals. To find an almost untouched cart with such a treasure on it was a miracle--one that I relished.
Abby's astonishment when she came home from school fed my joy and even Travis wanted to buy it off me and sell it on ebay. Humph.

For now, dear Samantha is posed quietly in my room just waiting for some future granddaughter to love her like no other.

23 comments:

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

What a fantastic find! I would have been as excited as you!!

Rachel said...

Squeal!!!!!

Marianne said...

That is SO AWESOME!! I love Abby's face. I bet you looked something like that, too!!!

And Travis. You mercenary. ;-)

Jenny said...

That is unbelievable!

Sue said...

Darling doll, for sure.

=)

Ginger said...

I had no idea! Wow! I had to go to ebay to see how much those dolls sell for. You really did get a steal. Congratulations! :)

lesa @ music notes said...

I'm so happy for you!

Valerie said...

That is a great find! And she is in excellent condition~even better!

Susan R said...

No stinking way! What a find indeed. You lucky girl.

Mom to Many said...

I have spent time searching those carts, and you did so well! Whoa!

Dean and Sheri said...

You lucky little duck! What a terrific find.

Sunshine for your Soul said...

That is awesome! My little Joc is jealous, she said we need to visit the thrift shops to find one "to bedazzle up" and make it look like her! Lol

Tammy said...

I went thrift store shopping yesterday ! It was so much fun :)
You found an American Girl Doll, for $2.00 ? Incredible ! You can't beat that ever !!! Great find my friend !

Valerie said...

I have some friends who buy used things and sell them online and I've heard crazy stories about DI crowds on the day they put out new stuff. :) That is so fun that you found such a treasure. And you said last night you don't know what you're passionate about. Sounds like you are passionate about bargains, time with friends, memories, and of course, we know you are passionate about your family. :)

Kazzy said...

I am kind of hooked on consignment and thrift shops. I really caught the bug when we lived in London for a few months and there were shops like that all over city. Great find for you!

Fun to meet you last night!

ruthie said...

I also LOVE DI! Kindred spirits for sure! You scored! It takes lots of trips, but every now and then you find gold - and that's what keeps you going back and back - It's a sport for me.

Marvett Smith said...

Awesome find! The DI is our favorite. My kids call it treasure hunting when we go there!

Kristin said...

one word . . . or maybe two -

SO lucky!!

Kristin

Amelia said...

Lucky you! The only thing I ever find at my DI is overpriced garbage.

Garden of Egan said...

Wow!
I've seen those things in magazines.
Yep, you got a steal!
So amazing.

She's pretty, ALMOST as darling as your daughter.

Joy For Your Journey said...

Congratulations!! That was a great find. I love those dolls. And I have heard about the crazy people at D.I. We have a few like that here as well.Sounds like this doll was meant to be yours. :-)

Pedaling said...

I need to develop the art of thrift shopping--That is quite the find! Wow! I think maybe I don't have the patience or something. Way to go!

Deila Taylor said...

Now that is a find. love the doll, but I love all dolls.