Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Art of Asking

He'd already gone to bed on his 16th birthday when there was a knock at the door. No one was there. Yet, the doorstep was not empty. Attached to two green helium balloons was a small white Cupcake Chic take-out container and a note.
An embarrassed yet happy grin appeared on his face the next morning when he discovered that he had been asked to the Sadie Hawkins dance. Clues written on the balloon strings were quickly deciphered as he figured out who his date would be.

"How are you going to answer her?" his mom queried. "I don't know. That's why I have sisters," he replied.

The next night his reply found its way to her doorstep--a red velvet cupcake from The Sweet Tooth Fairy complete with homemade "YES" flag.

Luckily this asking/replying interchange was relatively simple (not to mention delicious.)

Do they do this where you live?

Often the "asking" can be quite elaborate in these parts, and it really is only done for the bigger school-sponsored dances like PROM, MORP, Homecoming, etc. The concept was foreign to me until I came to BYU as a college freshman. Once again I live in Provo, and the practice is as strong as ever.

Anyone know how and when this even started?

"Curiouser and Curiouser"

14 comments:

Lara said...

Such a thing in Utah. I always appreciated it because I never really had to actually *ask* anyone to a dance, nor did I have to really *answer*

And that's how I think it came about. Someone was really shy about asking, so came up with some method of non-asking and it caught on! :)

Garden of Egan said...

Well.........back in the olden days, it was called "the phone".

Ya, there is some pretty incredibly cute stuff out there.
Kids are hilarious.

Saimi said...

How cute! I love the creativity!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've never heard of this but I love the idea! blessings, marlene

Deb in UT said...

I don't know when it started, but it's definitely been around for a long time.

You know what's sad? I was a teenager in Utah and never got asked or did the asking to a dance or anything. But I did help someone else ask once and it was fun. My group of friends sort of boycotted dances. Then I had boyfriends and we just went to things.

Now, I'd love it! I'll have to get my sweetie to ask me to something one of these days. :)

Lisa said...

I wish I knew how this started...it is definitely a regional thing. It's been around since I was in high school, a Loooong time ago! I think I like this invitation though...simple and to the point!

Ann Marie said...

I love the simplicity and yummy-ness of this. My mouth watered.

Yes... even when I was in High School.. it was often an expensive and elaborate deal asking/answering.

Good times.

Mom to Many said...

Cute!

My son was asked last winter with a small snow man on our porch sporting a scarf and a side walk chalk message on the cement next to it.

Ginger said...

Yes, our kids go all out asking their dates as well. :) How fun for him!

Laura said...

This is big in Virginia, now, too. Not like when we were in school. Pretty elaborate plans were hatched for homecoming and prom is even more crazy (we call it proma = prom + drama from the asking part). It is very fun to watch! I hope Travis has fun!

Sue said...

Nope. I kinda think it's a Utah thing.

=)

Jennilyn said...

I wish I knew how to inspire the 16+ here to try this in Maryland. Non-existent, so far...but we can change culture.

Cherie said...

Yes it happens here too. The elaborate asking and replying but it is so fun!!

Why not be creative!

Valerie said...

I moved to Utah the last 2 months of my senior year and saw several of these "asking/answering" things. I had never seen them before anywhere else I lived. I think it's fun as long as it doesn't get too expensive. Although some were downright silly!