Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Vintage View-Master

It was a Sunday. The role of "mean mom" fit me perfectly as I tried to make the Sabbath different from the other days of the week. I suggested an electronic-free afternoon, and the moans that followed were pitiful. I was not deterred, however, and encouraged a peek into the depths of the toy and game closet to find something that had, perhaps, been forgotten or ignored in the recent past.
Peace returned as a plastic bin was brought upstairs. The objects were studied and after a brief moment of confusion, figured out. She took my advice and turned towards the light.

I thought nothing more of it as I prepped in the kitchen. A glance in her direction captured my attention and made me smile.
Each and every slide was carefully viewed, read, and discarded. She experienced a picture tour of the Apollo Moon Landing, Carlsbad Caverns, and New Orleans Square in Disneyland. Casper the Friendly Ghost, Popeye, and Woody Woodpecker danced before her eyes. There were even a few reels of The Christmas Story--biblical version!

For a good 20 minutes she was content as she ventured back to the early 1970s and her parents' childhood. Perhaps not vintage, but definitely dated.

Next Sunday we're pulling out Francie and Skipper.

20 comments:

Rachel said...

hehehe. I looked at that! It was cool!

Marvett Smith said...

Ha! I love it! We have a couple of those I should pull out to show the kids too. I so know what you mean about being the mean mom on Sundays. They will appreciate you for it someday.

Valerie said...

I don't have any of my toys. I used to love those! Kids often resist change at first, but then they can really find fun new things if they give them a chance. :)

Ginger said...

Those and kalaidoscopes were my very favorite toys when I was a kid. Sadly, I never had one for my kids. :(

I love that you have one! We have been having problems with our internet over the last 3 weeks so we've had very little TV or computer. It has been absolutely wonderful!

Dean and Sheri said...

What a lucky girl to have some of her mom's childhood things. What a great blog post. Thanks again, Julie.

Saimi said...

Clever, clever mom and don't you just love her viewing position, priceless!

Dixie Mom said...

And I bet she loved it too!

Sue said...

Still a cool thing!

=D

Julie Harward said...

Love that..it really is a magical toy! :D

Chell said...

viewmasters are the coolest!

Garden of Egan said...

That is hilarious!
Was she comfy?
She certainly looked it.
What a pose.

Mom to Many said...

I love it. "Depriving" our children leads them to explore new forgotten things. One of my boys resorted to whirling a roll of packing tape and watching it roll one day. I enjoy no media days. :o)

Valerie said...

I wish I still had my old View Master! I think we all need to "unplug" once in a while (even me!) :)

Laura@livingabigstory said...

I love the pose!

I worry so often that the electronics of today have robbed my kids of so many of those fun toys, games and experiences that were essential in my childhood.

Deila said...

Oh that is so funny -- you caught her in action. I do know how hard it is to find something for those Sabbath days, that was a good idea. Yea, Skipper next.

Stephanie Bishop said...

We "try" to be electronic free every Sunday and I just LOVE it! My 6-year-old is the electronic cop and even encourages her Dad to turn off Extreme Home Makeover--as he is bawling at the sad stories of those who have lost their homes

Joy For Your Journey said...

Now that brought back some good memories!!

Marianne said...

It's SO COOL that you still have that stuff!! I've divested over the years, many times, and we're fresh out of vintage fun at our house!!

I love that picture. Does Abby?? ;-)

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Fun! I still have mine, too, that the girls get out sometimes.

Francesca Slone said...

This is so cute! Your daughter is adorable. It seems like she loves your viewmaster! I hope she takes good care of it so that you can preserve it longer. I regret not having mine anymore.

Francesca Slone