Saturday, August 20, 2011

Stewart Falls Hike

Hiking to Stewart Falls on Mount Timpanogos has been my favorite hike of the summer (so far). Why? It was beautiful and kind on my knees.
My sister and nieces were in town from Virginia so along with my mom and Abby we began by taking the Sundance ski lift to the trailhead. 
I love love love riding this ski lift in the Summer and Fall. The views of Timp are spectacular. I think it (along with the hike) would make a most romantic date.
The trail to Stewart Falls from the top of the ski lift is clearly marked (about 1.5 miles), but we thought we knew best and went the wrong way for a little while. Because of this wrong turn I did, however, get a picture of the girls (those three dots) frolicking in a meadow.
Here they are up close:
The best part of the journey was crossing a stream of snow runoff.
Once we arrived at the Falls the girls had fun playing in the water. Abby thought that the best way to deal with the slippery rocks was to travel on all-fours.
When we had our fill of the waterfall, we took the trail (another 1.5 miles) down the mountain back to Sundance.
Great day in the mountains with my family!

14 comments:

Laura said...

How cute is your entire family? Looks like fun and I'm not a big hiker. The picture of you and Abby is adorable!

Lesa said...

I'm going to remember this for a day when my husband/boys are looking for something fun to do.

Saimi said...

That is a GORGEOUS hike! WOW!!! The scenery is breathtaking! What a great day, man the last hike the husband and I went on we had weeds and fox tails stuck to our socks and shoes...I'm liking your type of hike soooo much better!

You and those girls are simply beautiful!

Valerie said...

Love that place. :) You look so beautiful even on a hot day after a hike.

Ginger said...

Such a beautiful place! It looks like a fabulous day and so much more fun with your sister along and cousins for your daughter. I really love the last picture of you with your daughter. :)

And I think with my luck I would fall right down in that stream with only that little rope to hold on to!

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad I dropped into today - we are just looking for a hike and have never heard of the Stewart Falls hike - googling it right this minute! It looks lovely!

Kristin

Cherie said...

This hike has been on my "to do" list for a couple of years. I read about it on someone's blog and thought it looked so pretty. I had no idea that you took the lift to get to the trailhead though - bonus!!!

You guys look like you had a wonderful time. Your smiles are infectious!

Sue said...

What fun! Detour and all!!

=)

Mom to Many said...

We have been wanting to hike this one, but have not made it yet. We just visited Cascade Springs, but realized my camera battery was dead when we got there. Oh, well.

Charlene said...

I still have a purple toenail from going down such a steep trail. Glad we went down not up :)

Laura@livingabigstory said...

Do you think this would be a hard hike for little monkeys? Such fabulous memories!

Garden of Egan said...

That looks like so much fun!
Gorgeous scenery.
Hmmmmm, and here I was thinking Idaho was the only place with gorgeous mountains.
Who knew?

I love that picture with you and your daughter!

Amelia said...

It looks like your family has had some fun this summer!

Stephanie Bishop said...

These are such refreshing pictures of fun family times! My favorite is the "photographer" walking across the waging water with camera in tow! Us photogs will do ANYTHING for some material!