Friday, August 26, 2011

Rich Irony

The irony lies in this poster advertising the BYU/Utah women's soccer game we attended earlier this week. See that cute #7 on the right? That's my Kellie.

The irony is that this gal is now a BYU Cougar (at least in all aspects but soccer--in that sport we are still a house divided.) Last Fall she made the toughest and most painful decision of her life--to leave a Division 1 collegiate athletic team after 2 1/2 years and transfer to BYU. The reasons are complicated and personal, but she just knew it was the right thing for her to do at this point in her life. In December she moved back to Provo, found an apartment, and began an interesting transition.

Soccer will ever be a deep and abiding love for Kellie. In March she pursued and obtained a National D Coach's license. Her soccer fix is now partly met by assistant coaching an awesome U13 Celtic Storm team.
They took State Cup this year!
Kellie proudly sports her Utah apparel on the BYU campus, and just smiles at the stares and comments. (They have no idea.)

Intramural athletics is a new love as well, and of course, her Utah shirts are ever-present--be it an ultimate Frisbee, soccer, or flag football game.
Tuesday night was tough; really tough. In a sea of blue fans Kellie proudly sat with her Utah shirt and scarf watching her friends and former teammates battle it out on the soccer field without her. She made her choice, and she is very happy at BYU, yet the look on her face. . . what I see behind her eyes. . . what I know about my daughter. . . is . . . I don't have the words.

Forever a Ute. Forever a Cougar. And, that's OK.

19 comments:

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

She's a beautiful girl. I love the toughness with the pearls!

Suzanne said...

My father graduated with a bachelors and a law degree from U of U. My husband and children all from BYU. There's a place for both! ;o)

Laura@livingabigstory said...

Oh my goodness.... this post made my heart melt. I'm in awe of her to be able to do something she knows is right for her even if it hurts. And I'm in awe of you as a mom to have done whatever you must have done to raise a daughter with such inner strength.

Ginger said...

Oh wow! What an amazing girl you have! It takes so much courage to do what we know we need to do is right for us when it means leaving something we love behind. What a life-changing growing experience this will be for her. I wish her the very best in her transition!

Marianne said...

Oh, Kellie.

Oh, Julie.

Great post, though!!! (We need to talk....)

Lesa said...

You are a great mom with a really neat daughter!

Deila said...

Well, I do understand, as my daughter had similar feelings, leaving the collegiate soccer scene. She played at Utah Valley University (back when they only had it as club soccer) then got a scholarship with a smaller college in CA. But she had many trials in soccer, like the choice she made not to play on sundays, which brought a lot of criticism from teammates and coaches.

I see that look in your daughter's eyes too. She wants to be out there! My daughter is 30 now, and has 2 little girls, but want to get out there and play still.

Sue said...

I love a girl who can make the tough choices...but tough choices are often painful.

There is such character in her face, Julie...sadness, resolve, and the peace of knowing she did what was right for her.

It's all there.

And she is beautiful inside and out.

=)

And This Is My Joy said...

From one soccer mama to another.... I understand.... I have seen that look many times... I love kellie, so does Emalee and we miss seeing you! Wearing Utah attire on BYU campus simply awesome!!!!!

Patty Ann said...

What a wonderful mom you must be to have such a strong and amazing daughter. I definitely think there is a place for both!! Good for her to put the choice that is right for her before her own feelings.

Hilary said...

a) I'm not sure you can be both. I think you can, but you can't get a temple recommend... kidding. ;)
b) Why couldn't she be on BYU's?
I loved my time at BYU, I Am uber jealous of her.

Mom to Many said...

Boy life brings some tough choices. Kudos to her for being willing to do hard things.

Garden of Egan said...

Wow! I can't even imagine the tough decision that must have been.
She's darling!
You have got to be so proud of her.

Valerie said...

It is not easy to do something we know is right for us when it isn't exactly what we want. What a wonderful experience for her to have that will strengthen her testimony of following the promptings of the Spirit. I can imagine her pain though.

Marvett Smith said...

Oh my. I bet you are so very proud of her. I know what a tough decision that can be. I played collegiate volleyball and although I didn't transfer schools I had to sit the sidelines for two different years due to injuries and make tough decisions in regards to whether or not I would return. It's so hard to "get left behind" so to speak, but I'm sure your daughter has done the right thing. I'm sure she took the necessary steps to make this decision and that speaks volumes about her character and maturity level. In the end she will be grateful for courageously doing the right thing. I applaud her for it. :)

Lisa said...

Goodness she is a strong and beautiful young lady. Good for Kellie...knowing what is the best decision for her!

Natalie said...

So great to see kids, strong and independent in their choices. Great work Mom, can you teach me?

JennyLynn said...

Have you seen those hats that are split, one side Utes and BYU on the other side. It is great to see that she is proud to be her self.

Susan R said...

Ooooo Weeeee, a house divided indeed. That might just be more of a heart divided. I know a little of what she must be feeling. It takes courage and good on her for following her heart.