Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Hors d'oeuvre Party

Last week the newlyweds (how long can I call them that?) packed up their belongings and drove 1900 miles to Atlanta where David will start graduate school in the Fall. Before they left Rachel insisted on throwing us an Hors d'oeuvre party.
This gal loves to cook. She has made her own birthday cake every year since she was 12--not because I refused, but for the pure joy of it. The more complex the recipe, the better, in her eyes.

For three days Rachel toiled in my kitchen--heating up the house and producing mounds of dishes. The results were extraordinarily delicious.

Served warm:
(Leek and Ricotta Tart)
(Pigs in Blankets)
(Bacon and Onion Tartlets)
(Bruschetta)
Small bites:
(Cheddar Cornmeal Icebox Crackers)
(Gruyere Thyme Icebox Crackers)
(Crudites with Canelli Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Dip and Homemade Ranch Dip)
(Parmesan Puff Pastry Straws)
Crunch and munch:
For dessert:
(Chocolate Dipped Strawberries)
(Glazed Lemon Cakes)
(Chocolate Pretzels)
(We also had fruit kabobs with cheesecake cream dip, but for some reason I didn't get a picture of those.)

Abby made the signage, menu, and place tags. She had carefully painted clothespins to resemble each invited guest. 
We had an abundance of food that lasted for days.

It was fantastic!

30 comments:

Julie Harward said...

WOW...I am so impressed! For a young gal with such talent, she will go far! Good luck to them. :D

Dixie Mom said...

So I hear newlyweds stay that way for a year! Has it already been a year?
I wish my daughters were bitten by the baking bug! Now I'm hungry!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

WOW! I like that chick!

Lisa said...

Wow...such an amazing spread! She's beautiful, loves to cook fabulous food, and is starting on a new adventure. You must be so happy for them. And what time are leftovers being served...I'll be right there!

Christie said...

We need recipes! That looks amazing. All of it. It's only 9:40 a.m. and I want some LUNCH!

Sue said...

Boy, oh boy. That guy is going to eat well in his life!

What a neat girl!!

=)

Ginger said...

So MUCH food! It all looks wonderful. I bet you miss having her at home to do all of that cooking. I wish one of my kids loved to cook! That would be my dream come true. :)

Laura@livingabigstory said...

Oh yum, yum, yum! Recipes?

And I forget I'm not a newlywed sometimes, so I say the term should last forever!

Susie said...

wow-the pictures and the food look like a Martha Stewart party. Fantastic!

Susan Mathews Hardy said...

I am glad I am in Atlanta. How about a scaled back Hors d'oeuvre Party in Atlanta! I think that the chef needs to invite the Hardys. How long will it take you to miss her so we can see you when you visit? When do they arrive?

Jenny said...

She is so rad. A lot of those recipes look familiar! Does Rachel have the MS hors d'oeuvres cookbook?

Valerie said...

What a cute couple!
And such a fun, clever idea. Yum!

Marianne said...

That is SO COOL!! What a fun thing for your family! Rachel is amazing, isn't she? :-)

It's NOT cool that I'm starving to death at this very moment...I'm going to have to go get some food now!

Suzanne said...

Wow - that looks so delicious! She must have cooked for hours. I feel for you -- I know how much you'll miss them.

Natalie said...

If I make my own clothes pin person,can I get an invite next time? :) Your gonna miss your baby, newlyweds/babies, you can call them what you like.

music notes said...

She really has a talent. Good luck to them on their move.

Mom to Many said...

Oh, the energy of youth. :o)

Marvett Smith said...

Those pigs in a blanket look delicious and chocolate dipped strawberries are my absolute favorite!

Joy For Your Journey said...

Wow!! What a lot of work!! That was very ambitious of her!! And how lucky you were able to benefit from her labors. Everything looks delicious.

Valerie said...

Everything looks marvelous!!! Sure making me hungry now.

Marla Grace said...

wow,yummy!

Cindi said...

Amazing food. Looks so delicious. Good luck to the newlyweds on their new adventure.

Wendys Hat said...

Incredible party! You are lucky to be surrounded by this creativity and talent! I wish them well!

Cherie said...

What a talent - It all looks so yummy!!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

This is AMAZING!! :)

Angee said...

Wow, that looks like an amazing party. I love the clothespin people.

Vickie said...

I am picking my jaw up off the floor. That gal needs her own restaurant! Hi - just popped over from Julie's blog!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Yum, the photos of all this fabulous food are making me hun-gry!

Warmly, Michelle

Hilary said...

I love Hours d Voirs more then life itself. This post was painful. :D
But delicious to the eyes

Lisa~~ said...

My goodness all your apps look wonderful! I love parties that are all "pick up" food and mini desserts, so much fun.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook