Sunday, July 3, 2011

Beach Combing

One of my favorite mornings of our vacation was when Kellie, Travis, Abby, and I walked along the beach. Our destination was Kahuku Point. We started out in a light rain so the only camera I brought along was my iphone tucked safely into a plastic bag. It was low tide and the tide pools were teeming with life.
Abby found a crab.
Sea urchins were plentiful. A live one is on the left and a lifeless one is on the right.
We had never seen a sea cucumber before, but they were everywhere.
When we rounded a corner, a terrible stench greeted us. It only took a few seconds for us to discover this shark. Kellie and Travis poked at it a bit. They were disappointed it had no teeth.
We took our time reaching the Point and gathered treasures along the way.
(sea urchin shells)
(sea glass)
A Perfect Morning

17 comments:

Marvett Smith said...

Wow! I love all of your wonderful finds! That sea glass is beautiful. I'm glad you had a great time!

2busy said...

Beautiful pictures. The kids are so cute!

Dixie Mom said...

Wow! Some great treasures!

Mom to Many said...

Beautiful!

Susan R said...

Absolutely beautiful (minus the shark). I don't like them even when they are alive and not stinking up the beach.
I love the sea glass, what a treasure of goodies y'all found.
Makes me homesick.

Valerie said...

Sounds like a productive day at the beach. Love the sea glass~ it is gorgeous!

Sue said...

Sea glass makes me happy.

=)

music notes said...

I love the sea glass!

Saimi said...

Such treasures!

Laura@livingabigstory said...

What incredible memories you made!

Momza said...

beautiful pictures, Julie. What an idyllic vacation.

Pieces of Sunshine said...

What a lovely time you had. Your sea urchin looks so much like the one we saw on our beach combing in Australia a couple of weeks ago.
http://piecesofcontentment.blogspot.com/2011/06/starfish-and-more.html

Marianne said...

Those are some awesome treasures! What a wonderful time with your kids.

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

This is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing these pictures... what is sea glass? It's so pretty. I would LOVE to go to Hawaii someday.

Utah Mom said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. What a great vacation!

Angela Noelle of SK said...

This post is so nice. Love the photos, and the finds! Something that will be talked about for a long time, I'm sure (usually the smelly stuff is remembered best, eh?).

Caren with a "C" said...

Love the sea glass and sea urchins! I miss Hawaii! We spent half our vacation in the hotel with sick children.