Tuesday, June 28, 2011

We Did Eat

The best quote of our trip was offered up by Brian when he said,

"It's not fat. It's vacation swelling."

Our favorite restaurant on the North Shore is Haleiwa Joes. Brian and Travis ordered the Fresh Whole Hawaiian Fish (sea bass that night.) Kellie almost ordered it, but when she realized that whole fish was indeed the whole fish--head and all-- she passed. Travis and Brian thoroughly enjoyed it.
We also made a run (or two) to Giovanni's shrimp truck where we always order the shrimp scampi. Yum! We smelled like garlic for hours. 
(Our family right before the luau)
One night we enjoyed a traditional luau at the Polynesian Culture Center where we had the most amazing coconut pudding (haupia) which we must replicate. Does anyone have a good recipe?
One of the perks we had at Turtle Bay was having our bed turned down each night. A little package was always left on our pillow. These were by far the most delicious coconut macaroons I have ever tasted.
On our way to the airport the day we flew home we stopped at Leonard's in Honolulu for their famous malasadas. Oh my goodness! Melt-in-your-mouth bliss!  Even the birds found them an addiction. As we sat on the benches outside the bakery, the little things brazenly flew to our hands and attempted to snatch the delicacies away.

Yes, we did eat!

13 comments:

Cherie said...

OOOHHH YUM it all looks so good. Eating seafood is always the best when you are near the ocean - it is making my mouth water!
Love your PCC picture!!

Shannon said...

So, what kind of swelling is it if you're at home?! Steven asked if we could take a field trip to Hawaii this week. I think I'll have to have him come check out your blog!

Garden of Egan said...

I'm pretty sure it was the humidity that might have caused your clothes to shrink.

Really.

That looks like a blast. So does the guy in the grass skirt.
I would love to have someone turn my bed down. AWESOMENESS.

Glad you were able to go. What a great time.

Mom to Many said...

If I knew someone was going to put an entire fish on my plate I would request a bowl of steamed rice instead. :o)

music notes said...

Now I want to go to Hawaii even more than I already did.

The shrimp looks delightful!

Lesa

Sue said...

Vacation swelling.

I love that!

(I have that...)

;)

Wendys Hat said...

Yum! Yum! I didn't go on vacation but I gained the weight as if I did! Oh Summer!

Joy For Your Journey said...

We like that restaurant as well,--but I have never ordered that and am positive I never will. Yikes!! That is just too much fish for me.

My sister in law might have a recipe for the pudding (she is from Laie) I will check with her when I see her in a few days (in Provo, not Hawaii, unfortunately).

I have never seen the last thing you bought at Leonards. I will have to try that.

2busy said...

Oh my goodness, I think I just gained weight reading your post!

Susan R said...

Lovely photos. I grew up in Hawaii, so this was like a trip back to my childhood. I hope you visited Matsumoto's Shave Ice. I think they're still on the North Shore.
I found your blog through Cherie's blog.

Valerie said...

Ooooohhhh, yum! I'm allergic to shrimp so would've skipped that, but everything looks amazing.

Laura@livingabigstory said...

OHHHH YUM! it all sounds sooo yummy!

Deila said...

I love your photos. We have stayed a few nights at The Turtle Bay when my daughter and son-in-law were going to BYU Hawaii. It was a great stay away from the crowds. I love those treasures in the next post, the glass and sea urchins, great fun for your family. thanks for sharing.