Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Heart-Shaped Rocks

I have a heart-shaped rock collection. It started when Brian and I were engaged. We were a continent and half an ocean apart when I received a package of wood roses from him one summer afternoon. Tucked inside that box was a tiny heart-shaped rock. (He doesn't recollect putting it in there, but I know it must have been fate.) I had found it and a tradition was born.
My collection has grown over the years--gathered with help from children mostly. Perhaps one of my very favorites was found just last week on our family hike.
I think it is practically perfect. It's been added to the grouping we keep in the back yard amongst the ivy.
Smaller versions are kept inside in my grown-up treasure box.
The top one in this set is one of my favorites. I think I found it at Myrtle Beach. The last tiny one was discovered at Carnelian Bay in Lake Tahoe. I suspect it is the real deal--the semi-precious gem, carnelian.

I hope I never get too old to have a fondness for simple, beautiful things.

22 comments:

Dixie Mom said...

I know another gal who collects heart shaped rocks...they are so sweet.
What a great way to "look" for love, by collecting those rocks.

tuesdays at nordic said...

Very cool! And very inspiring. This makes me want to look out for those simple and beautiful things when we go on family outings.

Saimi said...

You just gave me a sweet memory. My sister in law who died of cancer 11 years ago did the same thing. She had a huge collection of heart shaped rocks!

I still have some of hers, their a nice reminder of what a loving person, sister, aunt, daughter and friend she was!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

I knew I liked you! I have a few heart shaped rocks too. There's just something special and quaint about them.

blueviolet said...

I believe that it was fate to have that little heart in there that day. This is wonderful!

Sara said...

I remember this about you from my childhood. I'm pretty sure I found some dubiously heart-shaped rocks for you :)

Sue said...

I love heart-shaped rocks, too, and yours are extra special!

=)

AllisonK said...

What a romantic husband you have and to have all those love letters is a treasure!

I love that you collect heart shaped rocks and that you have a grownup treasure box. Simple WONDERFUL

Julie Harward said...

That is a great collections..love that very first one! I love perfectly smooth round ones, just love the feel of them! :D

Kendra said...

I have never seen a collection like this! It is so sweet! LOVE it!

thrasherswife said...

super cool - i may have to steal this collection idea! love it!

Wendys Hat said...

I love collecting rocks and shells and things and your heart shaped rocks are GREAT!

Garden of Egan said...

That is awesome. So cool that you've been collecting them.

Now I'm going to be looking.

Tammy said...

I LOVE it !!! What an awesome collection to have...

Mailbox Moments said...

I like the picture of them all lined up.

Lesa

Valerie said...

Ok...that is one awesome collection!

Marvett Smith said...

What an awesome collection. I'm not a collector of anything yet. I would love to collect something unique like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

Marianne said...

Julie, those are so cool. I loved the photo of the descending sizes! What a sweet collection.

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

What a fun tradition - love it!

Warmly, Michelle

Suzanne said...

What a beautiful collection. I love the idea of looking for "love" along life's roads!

hizles said...

I just love these beautiful rocks. You're never too old to stop collecting rocks, especially when they are as unique as these.

I'm visiting from Simple Things and thought I'd stop and say hi.

HI!

Valerie said...

I love that idea! It's really sweet and even sweeter since it started from your husband's gift.