Monday, April 25, 2011

The Graduates

The newlyweds have graduated from Brigham Young University!
Last week Rachel received her Master of Music degree in Flute Performance and David received his Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering (Magna Cum Laude).
Commencement exercises took place in the Marriott Center following the Academic Processional that even Cosmo (BYU's mascot) was a part of.
The Marriott Center is huge, but thanks to Rachel's pink hood we were able to spot her in the crowd of graduates. She wasn't too far away.
Here she is in the middle of the photo standing beside the white-haired usher.
David was clear across the arena. I zoomed in as far as possible to get this shot. He is the one standing, waving his program, and talking to his mom on the cell phone. Thank goodness for cell phones otherwise we would have never located him in the sea of graduates.
Brian was not too difficult to spot with my telephoto lens since he was seated with the other faculty on the floor.
Brian is in the middle of this photo (actually facing the camera). From the woman with the flaming red hair count down the row 7 people and there he is.
Rachel's hair was exceptionally red that day, and yes, it is her natural color.
It was a great day despite the fact that Rachel pulled an all-nighter! She had a big research paper and another flute project due the day of Commencement. She had been awake at least 36 hours without ANY sleep--a symbolic way to end HER academic career, I suppose.
David, Rachel, and Brian
Rachel, David, and Layne (David's mom).
I couldn't resist taking a picture of Rachel and her daddy in their robes.
David and Rachel are heading to Atlanta, Georgia this summer where David will pursue a PhD in Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech. 
Rachel is so relieved and happy to be done with school. She is now "free" and enjoying every minute of it. She is, however, looking forward to having her own flute studio after they move.
Rachel and I
It is such an exciting time for these two. I am almost jealous of their new adventure.

I am especially proud of Rachel for working so very very hard and never giving up despite a tough tough road.

Congratulations you two!

29 comments:

Dixie Mom said...

My gosh...what an accomplishment! Such a great day and well earned!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Wonderful! Congratulations to all of you!!

Tammy said...

Congratulations :) What an awesome journey they've been on ! Graduating from college together !!!
You all look fabulous ! The photos are wonderful :)

Ginger said...

Congratulations to them both! I love how your husband was looking right at the camera in that sea of faculty. Great shots!

Shannon said...

That's a great camera you've got. I can see a couple of other familiar faces in that picture of Brian. How fun!

Saimi said...

Wow!! Congratulations to everybody!! What a grand day that must have been and very exciting!! It gives me goosebumps! I have a one graduating in June from college and looking at your pictures I'm already tearing up!

Lesa said...

Beautiful photos of beautiful people doing awesome things! Congrats to all of you!

Mom to Many said...

What a fun milestone! Hooray for the Newlyweds!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Oh Happy Day! Congratulations to them both. I didn't know your husband was faculty.

Marianne said...

I got teary with the picture of David and Rachel and Brian. Brian looks SO proud!

What a GREAT day for those two. I am so happy for them!!

Hilary said...

Wow, how fun that they get to graduate together.
I was thinking about my former teachers that I had in high school as I was playing flute before a baptism on Saturday. I haven't thought about them in years, but they really shaped me into who I am. :)

Natalie said...

Wow, I have tears in my eyes. A true Mom's heart full moment. What an incredible example.

Sue said...

Congratulations to both of them! They've done a great job.

I couldn't help thinking they are going to have some serious red-haired progeny going on...

;)

Wendys Hat said...

Congratulations! How exciting! You did well Mama!

Suzanne said...

So wonderful! Congratulations to both of them!

Lacy said...

CONGRATS!!! That is so exciting... your family is beautiful.

Jennilyn said...

Great photos! Congratulations to the graduates and relieved/happy parents!

Marvett Smith said...

Wow. Those are two extremely intelligent newlyweds, and the last picture is my favorite. What an accomplishment. Congratulations!

Utah Mom said...

That is so exciting. Congratulations. I wish them well on their next adventure.

Kim Christensen said...

Julie, What a beautiful post! Rachel well done!! A huge accomplishment. I am sad for you that they won't be living alittle closer. Maybe when he graduates.

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Congrats. You must be very proud of these darling kids.

Warmly, Michelle

Samara Link said...

That's so exciting!

Cat said...

yea! What a sweet pic the first one is...love the excitement of graduation mixed in with the excitement of young love!!! :)

xx Cat brideblu

Looking UP Amid the Chaos said...

Rachel is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! They have their WHOLE life ahead of them!

Cherie said...

First of all - Your daughter is beautiful - I love her hair!!
Second - I think it is awesome that she and her husband graduated at the same time and Bonus that her dad was there in his robes too!!
Just an exceptionally neat day for all of you!!
I love the picture of you and your daughter too.
congratulations!!

Garden of Egan said...

You deserve to be so proud!!!
That is amazing.

Hopefully she got some sleep.

Marie said...

What a wonderful day to have them graduate together. Quite an accomplished pair--you have every reason to be proud of them!

Motherboard said...

You and your daughter are BEAUTIFUL!

It was so fun to meet you today! Maybe I'll see you tomorrow, too!

xo

Lisa said...

What a great time for the two of them. Isn't it wonderful to watch our little ones grow up and find their way in the world...it's so satisfying! Congratulations to them both...and to you as well!