Friday, April 22, 2011

The Antique Window

My mantel provides a decorating dilemma--at least for me, the design challenged. I know what I like when I see it, but I rarely know how to get there. A touch of Spring and Easter was needed in this room. Here is my attempt:
With family portraits flanking both sides of the fireplace I didn't want to put a picture on the mantel as well. I like simplicity and contrast so I figured some type of architectural piece would do the trick.
I really wanted an antique window, and I had searched unsuccessfully for months.

Finally, on the way home from a basketball game this Winter I spied several old windows for sale in the front yard of an American Fork home. I passed them at first, but my curiosity and longing took hold. My son groaned in the front seat as I maneuvered a U-turn, but when I promised him a fast food dinner he sighed and reclined his seat.
This old window was salvaged from a cabin. It is beat-up and heavy with peeling old paint and caulk. Nevertheless, I love its lines and nontraditional window panes.
My husband thinks it looks silly resting there on the mantel. In his mind windows belong where windows belong.

Hmph!

Nevertheless, I've paired it with Suzanne's April plaque attack,
Easter eggs my girls wish were real,
and blooms from my neighbor's tree.
I do love the window even though its current weathered state is a bit too distressed for my taste. Eventually I would like to turn it to the other side (where all the wood is still in tact), sand it down and paint it--white, of course (the color of the trim in my home.)

I can see its potential to be transformed with every season and holiday. I just wish I knew how to do it.

What do you think? I'm open to constructive criticism, and I'll try to be thick skinned.  :)

Happy Easter!

22 comments:

Cherie said...

Julie ~ I think your decor looks great, I love the pink blossoms on each side at different heights it adds alot of interest, and the window is a fun thing to have (men just don't understand).
I have an old white window that I have had for over 10 years in my entry and it holds pictures of family and friends - it is one of my favorite things in my house and also of everyone who comes to my house.
A few months ago I found a long, skinny double paned window that is a green color and fell in love. It sits on my piano leaning back on the wall and I love it. I think it is fun to decorate for each season and can hardly wait to decorate it for Christmas!!
So being an old window lover myself I think you did GREAT!!
P.S. I love the window you found with the smaller panes on top - that is cool!

Happy Easter :-D

Tammy said...

OH Julie,
I LVOE what you've done with your mantel :)
Smells of SPRING !!!
Have a fabulous weekend !

Dixie Mom said...

Oh no maam. Leave it weathered! Love the beat up look next to the crispness of the bricks.

Good job!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I love it! I think it might look too new if you repaint it. It's a nice contrast to the smooth white vase and smooth eggs.

Suzanne said...

Your mantle is so pretty. (Thank you for the feature too!) I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter weekend.

music notes said...

I think you do a great job of decorating. I like it just how it is!

Garden of Egan said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am now looking at my mantel with new eyes. I have upon 4 old window pains and they're sitting in my garage.
I love it.
You tell your hubby that he's the luckiest guy in the world that he has such a decorator for a wife.
I am excited to see what you come up with for your next holiday.

I love the cracked paint!

Ginger said...

I think it's beautiful! I wish someone would come and help me decorate my house. I'm not very good in that department.

I have to say that I did chuckle a little at your husband's response. That sounds like something my husband would say. :)

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

I love the weathered old window. I'm looking for one myself. I would have turned back for it too. It looks great at your mantle.

Sue said...

I think the weathered window looks very cool right where it is!

=)

Patti Hanan said...

It is charming, Julie!

M & said...

Don't you love curb side treats! I do!

Cheryl

Shauni said...

Love it, leave it! :)

Patty Ann said...

I think it looks totally amazing. I love it!

Wendys Hat said...

I love the antique window and your mantle display!

Julie said...

All I can say is THANK YOU!

Marvett Smith said...

I love how your mantle looks! I love old things, and bought an antique window last summer. It sits on my front porch during the summer. I like the distressed look. To me it tells a story. Your pink blossoms are beautiful as well. All I can say is great job!

Christie said...

LOVE IT. LOVE. Don't change a thing. Super adorable.

Polly said...

Leave it like it is, it looks great weathered. But i'm pretty sure it's lead paint, for what that's worth!

Samara Link said...

I totally identify with knowing what you like when you see it but having a hard time executing it on your own. But I think you did a great job here! Thanks for sharing. :)

Simple Life Journey said...

Tell your husband that us women love old windows, and maybe in 10 years when it is out of style we will all laugh and make fun of ourselves for decorating inside of our houses with windows, but until then, your mantel looks lovely.

Sandra Ludwig said...

House decorating is a continuous process. Placing a decorative antique window on the mantel is very original. I find the distressed look on antique items quite charming. It is this quality that makes them unique and lovable.

Sandra Ludwig