Monday, March 21, 2011

Chinatown

No trip to San Francisco and the Bay Area is complete without a jaunt through Chinatown.
To get here from our hotel I walked through one of the largest shopping districts in the United States. It was almost overwhelming. High-end stores like Prada, Gucci, and Kate Spade abound. I wandered in and out of many, occasionally feeling like quite the "frumpster" in my Gap jeans and cardigan. 

There were stores that intimidated and stores that beckoned from within. Banana Republic, Crate and Barrel, Williams-Sonoma, and Ghiradelli knew my name! Did you know that Williams-Sonoma's flagship store is in San Francisco? It's FOUR floors were packed with irresistible goodness. Luckily the one carry-on rule was my deterrent. (Brian insists we never check baggage.)

Yet, who can resist the colorful trinkets and Asian vibe that is Chinatown? After all, it "is the largest Chinatown outside of Asia as well as the oldest Chinatown in North America." (Source) Sadly, I didn't make it to the fortune cookie factory on this visit, but I was satisfied nevertheless.

I'm so grateful for this get-away opportunity. I came home a better spouse and a better mother. Suddenly life is a bit more cheery and I actually look forward to my everyday routine.

But, really, when can we do it again?

17 comments:

Suzanne said...

Love Chinatown! The sights and sounds are so unique and fun!

Ginger said...

The colors are SO vibrant! I totally want to go there now! :)

Mom to Many said...

Looks like you had an adventure. :o)

Cheryl

Lacy said...

so cool!! :) I've never been to Chinatown

Momza said...

I've only been once, but I loved it! So many things to look at!!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

I've never been. It looks fabulous!

Tammy said...

Oh Julie the photos of your getaway are fabulous :)
Second, I am in need of such a getaway with my husband!!! I had a bit of a mommy melt down this weekend !!! But things are better today :)
Happy Monday to you !

Dixie Mom said...

Oh San Fran's Chinatown is the best! You're right...how could those colors not cheer you up!

Hilary said...

You know I love me some china town. WE have yet to make it to the fortune cookie factory. What a shame.

Saimi said...

Wow how awesome is that!! I've never been to China Town and I can see I've been missing out! What a colorful fun place to visit. Glad your having a great time, but your right...there really is no place like home!

Lisa said...

That's funny, checking luggage is forbidden at my house too. Loved your wonderful pics of the city. It looks like a wonderful getaway break. Good for you!

Lesa @ Journey EveryDay said...

I have never been. I love all the colors, it makes me happy to look at your pictures.

Garden of Egan said...

Glad you had a great trip. I'm needing one of those desparately.

China town looks like total eye candy. I loved looking at the shoes.

I'm sure you were a total trend setter.

Deila said...

Great photos. We took my son there when he got home from his mission in Taiwan. He had so much fun. And we got to ask him about all the merchandise and food.

Dean and Sheri said...

You are a fabulous photographer!

Kristin said...

Oh making me crazy homesick, one of my favorite places in the world :) My grandparents lived there until they passed away a few years ago. Sigh . . . I need to make plans to go back :)

Kristin

Alexis said...

I live near San Francisco...so glad you had a good trip and saw the fun side of China town!