Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Winter Project

For me, Winter is a time to nestle into a comfy chair, tuck my legs under, and crochet. I first learned to crochet when I was about 10 years old in Primary. (Primary is the name of the children's organization of my Mormon faith.) At that time, the girls in my age group were called "Merrie Miss" and we met at the church once a week on Tuesday afternoons.

For years my crocheting skills lay dormant.
However, one humdrum afternoon several years ago, as I sat beside a child practicing reading "Flat Stanley" aloud, it hit me--a desire to create, to DO something with my hands, to be productive in a rather unproductive setting.

I started with scarves and then an afghan. That afghan turned out too small for my purposes and too "holey".
Luckily, my sister-in-law discovered a pattern that was just right. It is easy and repetitive enough that I can actually multi-task. The finished product is the ideal size to snuggle under with a design that toes can't poke through.
This first throw was meant for my dad, but he passed away before I could finish it. I gifted it to my husband instead, but Brian is never cold (unless he is sick), so I have happily adopted it as my own--for my occasional cat nap, of course.

Since then I have made one for each of my children: purple for Rachel, berry blue for Kellie, navy blue for Travis and turquoise for Abby.  Everyone seems to love them--especially the cats.
I use Caron Simply Soft yarn which makes them soft, cozy, and washable. I'm working on my sixth afghan. This one is black. I wonder who'll be its recipient?

By the way, I DO take requests.

24 comments:

Lesa said...

You continue to amaze me with all your talents. Beautiful work!

Lacy said...

I love to crochet!The black is SO beautiful... love the kitties :)

Lacy said...

by the way, would you be willing to pass on that pattern? it almost looks like a shell type pattern, but I'm not quite.

2busy said...

Those look great! I need to learn to do that. Have you seen those adorable looking winter hats with the crocheted flower on them, too? I want to create!

Shannon said...

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was a pre-teen. I remember making scarves for my brothers for Christmas. A couple of years ago I was at Women's Conference and walked by a take it-Make It booth (I think that's what it was called) where you could take a service project, work on it during the Conference and then return it. I hadn't crocheted in YEARS,, but I picked up a leprosy bandage crochet kit and headed out. Let's just say that crocheting isn't like riding a bike for me! I finally had to turn it back in unfinished. One of these days I'll have to relearn that skill!

Linsey said...

Yes, please, share the pattern. I have some yarn that is just itching to be made into a cozy afghan!

Erin said...

The pattern for that afghan is beautiful! I just love it.

Mom to Many said...

That looks like the pattern my MIL used for one of my baby afghans.
Those darn baby toes poke through most anything though.

I am glad you are anxiously engaged. :o)

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Hi Julie, I've never learned how to do this--so I'm always in awe of it! I nominated your blog for an award. Please stop by & see me for more info.
(I used one of your photos--please let me know if you want me to remove it1)

Warmly, Michelle

Susan Mathews Hardy said...

Oo oo I have a request. One for me!
The afghans are beautiful!

Life is good! said...

oh they look soooo warm! i have to say the cats look like they need their own. my grandmother made us afghans when we were young. i wish i still had mine. maybe, yes maybe i need to learn to crochet and make my own! great idea, terrible at stuff like that. oh well it was a good idea! have a great week!

Cherie said...

Beautiful job!

We are twins!! I love to crochet too and hadn't done it for years but when I had my surgery last summer and had to stay put for 6 weeks I had to do something so I took it up again. I have also been crocheting a big, warm blanket when I sit and relax at night. Love it!!!

Love the pictures of your cats - Ha ha - They have good taste!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Nicely done, very beautiful!

Garden of Egan said...

I love to crochet!!!!! I love that pattern. I can't read a pattern but I try to copy as often as I can.

I love the one the cats are on. They look like they KNEW the afghan was made for them!

Tammy said...

My grandma taught me how to crochet, I use to make pretty blankets. You may have inspired me to start back up again !!! Yours are so pretty, love the pattern !!

Julie said...

I am more than happy to share the pattern. Linsey, please send me your email address and I will send it to you via attachment. Lacy, I found yours in your profile. Enjoy.

Ailinh Harris said...

Beautiful work! I've always wanted to learn how to crochet. I did knitting back during my sophomore year in high school, but I always think crocheting is so neat. Thanks for the inspiration!

Joy For Your Journey said...

They are beautiful! Good for you! I learned to crochet in primary as well, but then promptly forgot how and haven't had much interest in re-learning. My daughter has picked it up though and makes beautiful blankets. I am now thinking that maybe it is something I should look into.

Teresa said...

Beautiful. I love crochet :) Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good to "meet" ya.

Grammy T. said...

I loved the cozy vibes I got from reading your post. ;)

Suzanne said...

Beautiful. I don't watch much TV, but when I do I love to be doing something with my hands -- like crocheting! Your projects are lovely. (I learned how to crochet in Primary too!)

Marla Grace said...

Wow,so beautiful!wish we were closer so you could teach me!!Love the color!Great picture!

Momza said...

those are beautiful!
What do you charge for a baby quilt?

Lisa said...

What beautiful crocheted throws you have created. I loved the reference to Merrie Miss...I haven't thought of that title in a very long time. Did you make one of those banners as well? Such a fun memory.