Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's 1984

Do you remember Ziggy? He was big in the 80s, particularly 1984, the first Valentine's Day Brian and I shared together. Preparing for this holiday caused me great anxiety.


Brian and I had only been dating exclusively for less than a week. As the day of love approached, I didn't know what to do. I knew I wanted to get him something, but the symbolism surrounding Valentine's gifts was oh so significant!

I "liked" him, but I didn't really love him yet. I knew he "liked" me, but how much? How much should I spend? How would he interpret my present?

It was agonizing.

I finally decided on candy. That was safe, right? I purchased an apothecary-type jar and filled it with sweets from the BYU bookstore candy counter. One thing I had learned in the month I had known him was that Brian loved coconut cream pie, so a layer of coconut flavored jelly bellys was an easy first choice. Red jelly bellys and other Valentine confectionery were carefully layered until the clear glass jar was filled to the brim. I bought a card, wrote a little note, and held my breath for his response.

front and inside of the card I gave Brian (minus my handwritten sentiment)

Little did he know how prophetic that Lucy card would be.

Brian gave me a GIANT card that I've saved for 27 years.

"Just think, Valentine! Once we were perfect strangers, but then fate stepped in, and through some miracle, out of all the millions and millions of people in the world, our paths crossed!"
inside of the card Brian gave me

It was perfect, and I ended up marrying him six months later.

18 comments:

Saimi said...

Oh my GOSH what an awesome post!! I love the cards and your story..I was reading it with a smile on my face!! And your cat, seriously that could be our Bootsie, you were right they do look exactly alike!!

Ginger said...

This is so sweet! And I LOVE Ziggy. He was one of my favorites!

Cherie said...

Wow! First I love how these cards and messages took you guys to a new plateau in your relationship - very romantic!!

This brought back so many memories. I have not seen Ziggy for so long!! I'm surprised he has not made a "vintage" reappearance :-D

I think you and your hubby and me and mine must be married the same length of time. Isn't love grand!

Hope you and your sweetheart are having a wonderful valentine's weekend.

Garden of Egan said...

That is so sweet!!! I love that you shaved the cards!

He musta eaten the jelly bellies or I'm sure you would have shown off that totally cute idea!

Dean and Sheri said...

Oh Julie...I LOVE this. And I love little Lucy peeking out from behind the giant Ziggy card. Happy Valentine's Day to you and Brian.

Mom to Many said...

How sweet!

Marriage comes with it's bumps. Anyone who tells you different is fibbing.

I love romance. It makes me feel all warm and squishy inside. :o)

And I love 27 year old love stories even more.

Cheryl

Ailinh Harris said...

SUCH a sweet sweet post! This made my heart melt. I LOVE Valentines!

Jennilyn said...

I love that you saved the cards! Happy Valentine's Day!

Lesa said...

So perfect! I love how you saved the cards. You guys are too cute!

Momza said...

That is darling!

Laura said...

I remember when you told me about Brian, you said, "When you know, you know." Obviously, you were right! Happy Valentine's Day!

Happily Ever After Again said...

too cute! :) happy hearts day!

Marianne said...

Sigh.

You two are awesome.

Life is good! said...

darling just darling! and i do remember ziggy. hope you had a great valentines day!

Joy For Your Journey said...

At first I was laughing that all that happened after just one week of dating, but then I remembered that my husband and I were engaged after just two weeks so . . . Very cute cards! And I am sure he loved the candy. How wonderful that you have saved it all these many years.

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

How cute! Yes! I do remember Ziggy. BTW, it is an honor to have you as a follower on my blog! I'm hosting a great giveaway--all you have to do to enter is stop by & leave a comment on the giveaway post. My fingers are crossed for you.

Warmly, Michelle

Lacy said...

Those cards are PERFECT! I love that you shared them with us :)

Kendra said...

That card is SO perfect and sweet! And how fun that you have saved it!