Saturday, February 5, 2011

Improvements

I am choosing to call my New Year's Resolutions "improvements" because I simply want to
(Gordon B. Hinckley)
I went against all goal-setting guidelines this year and didn't write down my resolutions or share them with anyone.

Perhaps I wanted to see if I could actually make the improvements I desired before I even acknowledged them to myself. That way, if I failed, even my conscious self wouldn't feel guilty because the "goal" was merely a passing thought. Right?

Now that 2011 is no longer in its infancy (and I have actually succeeded a bit at my attempts) I am ready to publicly share two of my "improvements".

Improvement #1: Read at least one book a month.

I used to belong to a book group that was just the impetus I needed to read quality literature. Since it's demise, however, I have lacked the discipline needed to read consistently from something other than the newspaper, email, and blogs. This is my attempt to change that. So far I am ahead of the game and have read
and

I highly recommend both.

Improvement #2: Plan and prepare real meals for my family.

The past few years my desire to cook has waned (perhaps due to kids' practices and games scheduled around and during the dinner hour.) Time is critical. My recipes are boring, and local eateries are sounding the siren call.

After creating, then deleting, then restoring it again, I am now also blogging at Salads and Such. This blog forces me to rediscover healthy favorites and test new ones. At least once a week I will post a "keeper" recipe, and hopefully my family will benefit from the process.


(My cousin introduced me to a fabulous Pear and Goat Cheese Salad. Check it out here.)

There they are--my first two "improvements" of 2011. There may be more. Or, maybe not. Either way I will just "try a little harder to be a little better" and not stress about the rest.

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Those books are fantastic. Way to read only good books. I need to work on the healthy and salad part more of my meals so I will keep an eye on your recipes. :)

Joy For Your Journey said...

Good job to you!! I have read The Help and LOVED it, so I will take your recommendation for the second.

But I think it is great you are working on your "improvements" without even writing them down. I made several goals at the beginning of the year --which I did write down--and a few days I got them out and realized I had forgotten about a third of them!!

Saimi said...

Yay for you and a hearty congratulations!!

Cherie said...

Good for you Julie! I have read The Help and it is a favorite now! Meals seem to get harder the older our families get but I believe in dinner - I do! So good for you!!

Happily Ever After Again said...

Your improvements sound worthy. :)
Good luck!

Ginger said...

Thank you for posting this! I don't like to write my goals either or to tell anyone. I think it sabotages my efforts somehow. I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one struggling to get a "real" dinner on the table with the demanding schedules of older kids. It seems like I am averaging 3 to 4 home dinners per week. I would really like to get it back up to at least 5 though.

Garden of Egan said...

Good for you!
I tried the marinated broccoli salad and totally loved it.
I ate the entire thing for dinner one night.

I'm going to have to check out that book. I love a good book.

I'm looking forward to seeing the recipes that you come up with.

Lacy said...

This post is an answer to my prayers, Julie! I just got invited to join a book club and I need to find a book to recommend. Thanks for the ideas! I want to find a good read that is "good" to read as well, if you know what I mean. I trust your judgment:)

thrasherswife said...

Improvements are what I call them, too!! Just joined your other blog, looking forward to your recipes. One of my goals is to start eating much better - move fruits and veggies, less processed foods. And back to exercising...

Lesa said...

I have read the first one but not the second. I checked out your recipe blog, it looks great and I look forward to getting some new ideas.

And This Is My Joy said...

Love it... I think setting goals stink, because I think most never reach them... but improving... well we can all do that!!! Thanks for your great example.

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

I love both of your "Improvements!" I read "The Help" too and LOVED it. I'm currently reading "Freedom." It's good, but I always put blogging and reading other people's blogs ahead of reading!! ugghh. . . I need to change that!

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

I love both of your "Improvements!" I read "The Help" too and LOVED it. I'm currently reading "Freedom." It's good, but I always put blogging and reading other people's blogs ahead of reading!! ugghh. . . I need to change that!

Hilary said...

That one book a month goal -- only smart people have that goal. :)