Monday, February 28, 2011

Bookishness

Books and I are friends again. This week, in particular, has cemented our relationship. Brian traveling, snowy weather, and a miserable cold have found me cozied up with a good book more often than not. My books of choice have left me crying and laughing and yearning for the companionship of the characters long after the last page was read. 

My friend, Jenny, recommended These is my Words and, *sigh*, I loved it. It is the next book I will recommend to anyone who asks. 

Brian has wanted me to read Papa Married a Mormon for years. I finally humored him and was glad I did. The author, John Fitzgerald, wrote the Great Brain series which Brian read aloud to each of our kids at bedtime. I remember hearing them laugh and laugh at the antics of "the Great Brian" and his siblings and they begged me to read the books for myself. I will. . . some day.
Audio books are something I have only recently taken advantage of, and this one (The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie) is fantastic. I mostly listened in the car, but at one point I brought the CDs inside and listened while I cleaned bathrooms, folded laundry, and started dinner. It made these chores actually tolerable. I loved the voice of Jayne Entwistle. She has the perfect British accent for this story.
I was excited to discover that there are two other Flavia de Luce novels. (Flavia is our heroine.) Hold requests at the library are in the works.
I just finished The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--A Love Story. It was a fun, easy read. A nice escape.

I've exceeded my "goal" of one book a month, but what to read next? What to read next?

20 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm so happy to get a recommendation of good books! Can't wait to see if they are available at our library!

Dixie Mom said...

I love to read...I read as much as possible. But I made a goal awhile back to read Jesus The Christ with my ward by March 12th. And the move set me back. So, I am only reading that every day now and I am only half way with two weeks to go.
It's very very good. I suggest it wholeheartedly.

Marvett Smith said...

I love to read. I need to take you up on your recommendations. I had the pleasure of meeting the Pioneer Woman a couple of weeks ago. I love her book too!

Jenny said...

I just read the blue castle by LM Montgomery and I was laughing out loud in many parts. I think you'd like it if you haven't already read it. Just a warning, the cover art is bad.

I'm so glad you liked Flavia!

Lacy said...

Great book ideas! I'll have to read them... the only one I've read is "These Is My Words" and I really enjoyed it. You might like the other two books in that "Trilogy" so to speak. They are "Sarah's Quilt" and "Star Garden" I really enjoyed them as well.

2busy said...

Thank you for the book suggestions. I'm going to put some on hold at the library.

Amelia said...

I don't know if you would like my favorite book, but I'm happy to recommend it whenever I can. It's called "Their Yesterdays" by Harold Bell Wright. It's out of print (it was written more than a hundred years ago), so I don't know if you can even find it. When this crazy world gets to me, I turn to this book for a poetic love story that embraces all of the old-fashioned values I love.

Lesa said...

Hi - you inspired me to write a post today about book reading and I also added my book list as a tab (page) under my header. Let me know if you have read any of those books.

Lesa

Dean and Sheri said...

I loved "These is My Words" too! I finished it last year around this time. Soon after I read "Christy" by Catherine Marshall...and oldy and a goody. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Thanks for the other recommendations. I'm putting them on my list.

ps...One of these days, perhaps in the Spring...lunch would be FUN!

Garden of Egan said...

You really did ROCK reading this month! They sound like good books. I keep seeing good reviews of them online.
I'll have to check them out.

Ginger said...

Thanks for the tips Julie! I'm sorry you were sick, but glad you could get in some good reading time. That is always nice.

I ran into Layne at the music room today - (I had to go jump start my daughter's car battery.) I told her about our connection. She thought that pretty neat. She loves you, btw! :)

Joy For Your Journey said...

I loved "These Is My Words". I also love "The Help" if you haven't read that one. I am glad you posted about the Sweetness book. My niece just recommended it to me, but she didn't say why. She just recommended it so I was wondering more about it.

Have you read Ella Minnow Pea? I haven't but I was thinking about reading it since I have seen a few reviews on it.

I am jealous you were able to read so much. Maybe in a month I will have more time to do that.

Lisa said...

You have just read a few of my favorites. I read "These Is My Words" a couple of years ago and loved it. How about "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt". I would definitely recommend it.

Julie said...

Thanks, Lisa. I have that one on hold at the library as we "speak" too. :)

Mom to Many said...

So, sorry you have a cold.
I managed to find one too. No kickboxing for me this week. Bummer.

Cheryl

Life is good! said...

it was the perfect month to curl up with good books! thanks for the recommendations. i think it's time to head to the library!

Lisa said...

Julie,
I just saw your fun tag...I'll get right on it!

Cherie said...

Glad you read Papa Married a Mormon and enjoyed it - You'll have to read Mama's Boarding House too!
Books are like candy to me - You have listed alot of good ones here!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

OOOOOHHH! I'm such a fan of the book, "These is My Words" AND the sequel, "Sarah's Quilt". What wonderful reads you've been enjoying!

Warmly, Michelle

Mrs.Spy said...

Papa Married a mormon was one of my childhood favorites and I have a cherished copy of it in the house. I remembered as a kid how the Great Brain chose to be a Mormon because they fed you there and thinking that it was cool that the smart one picked the Mormon church,lol.