Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Iris Folding

Have you ever done iris folding? My sister-in-law, Susan, taught me how to make these cards a few years ago. I use the heart pattern for wedding cards, but it would be ideal for Valentine's Day too.


You can download the free heart pattern here. The instructions are no longer available on the Circle of Crafters site, but there are several online tutorials if you do a search.

This pattern fits perfectly on a 5" square card and then in a 5 1/2" square envelope.

Here are the basics:
First, print out two of the patterns--one to cut up and one to use as a reference.
You will also need three different papers cut into approximately 1 1/2" strips.
Cut a piece of  white cardstock to 10 x 5 inches and a piece of black cardstock into a 4 3/4 inch square.
Trace the heart cut from one of the patterns onto the black cardstock. This is the side you will be working with.
 Cut out the traced heart and tape the square to the second pattern with masking tape.
Decide which paper will be Color A, Color B, etc.
Fold the strips in half.
Keeping the folded edges towards the center of the heart, tape the first piece along line #1. (I used Scotch tape.) Continue this process using the Pattern Guide. The papers will overlap and an "iris" will form.
Trim the overhanging edges. Turn it over and be amazed. Use double-sided tape to attach the finished product to the white card.
I made four different cards today. I like the black and white ones best.


26 comments:

Dixie Mom said...

Those are so beautiful. My Mom has made them before and I've made something similar...but not those heart. I may have to try those. Thanks for sharing.

Mom to Many said...

Very pretty!
That makes the kind of note you might keep. :o)

Cheryl

Suzanne said...

I've already bookmarked this post. So pretty! Thanks for the tutorial -- just fabulous.

Lesa said...

Oh, so pretty. I've never seen that before. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I love how you make it look fun and easy!

Lacy said...

Those are SO beautiful! I like the black and white ones too... thanks for sharing :)

Ginger said...

Thank you for following me Julie! It's nice to "meet" you! I love this heart pattern. My mom makes quilts so I sent her the link to your site. I think she is going to love this! Have a great day!

Marianne said...

Those are really lovely. I love the purple one the best. I can't tell you how much I envy you that you have time to do such beautiful things. My beautiful things are a stack of clean plates and a dryer full of warm clothes (if it's a good day). Boo.

NatureGirl said...

That is GORgeous! And thank you for answering my plea for help! You were right and now I have the updated editor! Soooo much easier!!!

Emmalyn said...

So CUTE!

Linsey said...

Wow, this is beautiful. My almost non-existent crafting abilities might even be equal to this.

thrasherswife said...

So envious of crafty people!!! Very nice, but looks a little too taxing for this one...

Cherie said...

This is SOOO Neat!! Wow I have to tell you this is the first time I have been creatively inspired in 2011!! I may link your blog post to mine - I hope that is OK.
Love this!

ailinh harris said...

Dazzling! Valentines is one of my favorite holidays, so I've always been looking out for more craftsy ideas to make for the upcoming holiday. Thanks for sharing, will definitely do this.

Garden of Egan said...

I've seen those papers and patterns used to make quilts pieces. It's beautiful. Same concept, sew the fabric right onto the paper.

I think your card looks so beautiful. Kinda hard too.
I'm afraid I wouldn't want to give that away.
I'm off to look at the pattern!

Life is good! said...

beautiful, just beautiful. looks a bit confusing to a noncrafter person like myself but i do love them!

A Joyful Chaos said...

Beautiful! I will have to try my hand at making them this afternoon.

Thanks for sharing.

Jennilyn said...

I immediately wondered at the fabric application--so similar to pineapple-design quilts, variations of log cabins, paper-piecing nightmares, but wonderful using scrapbook paper and tape! Thanks for the pretty ideas! I clicked through the link and read through how-to-make-my own iris patter, downloaded the iris templates (yeah, public domain)and this is on my list of things to do this year!

Kendra said...

What a GREAT idea! I have never seen this before!

I have SO much scrapbook paper that I never do anything with. I am going to make a few of these for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Amelia said...

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing this!

Mrs.Spy said...

I've never seen anything like those, they are beautiful.

Creative Mish said...

Beautiful! I tried this once. Don't know why I haven't made more cards using this technique. I love all of the color combo's you did.

Dean and Sheri said...

I am a crafting clutz, but I'm gonna do this. REALLY! Gonna try it.

Suzanne said...

I have never heard of this! I love it. Thank you!

Christie said...

These are so cute! It would be really cute even in a frame on a wall in a little girl's room. Might have to show these to my daughter...love them!

Cares and Mimi said...

Really beautiful! Thanks for sharing! - Cares

Karey said...

What a perfect craft to do this summer when my girls are begging me for something fun to do. THanks.