Saturday, January 8, 2011

How We Met

January in Utah is cold, dark, and often dreary. Beating the winter blues is a constant challenge. This week, however, as classes resume at BYU I am remembering one particularly fortuitous January here many years ago.
Source
January 1984
I returned to BYU after Christmas vacation my sophomore year resolved to focus hard on school, get fabulous grades, and ignore guys completely. Right before Christmas my then boyfriend caught me completely off guard and broke up with me days before I flew home to Virginia. My holidays were spent healing a broken heart, but by the time I returned to school I was on the mend armed with determination to be whole and happy. (I knew that relationship was never meant to be, so its demise was a very good thing.)

I had a full semester ahead of me: Calculus, Computer Science 143, Statistics 336, Greek and Roman Mythology, Teachings of the Living Prophets, and Ballroom Dance. Despite my resolve to take no notice of men, my 19-year-old instincts kicked in. As I settled into each new classroom I just couldn't help scanning the room for male prospects and basically "check them out" one by one.

When I first saw HIM in his brown leather jacket (made to fit while on his LDS mission to Argentina), I dismissed him as "taken". Too good to be true. Fate had it that he was in my Calculus class AND my Computer Science class. How providential. Eventually, he dropped Calculus, but he also began to sit near me (or did I sit near him?) in the Computer Science class.

This was an assembly language class and after one particularly confusing lecture, I surprised my rather reserved self by exclaiming to no one in particular, "I just don't get the hexadecimal system." HE (who was sitting right in front of me) turned around and said something like, "I can help. Why don't you come to my office and I can explain it to you?"

"Your OFFICE?" I thought, duly impressed. I consented.

That was our genesis as we talked and walked across campus to the Eyring Science Center. Brian's "office" turned out to be a mere desk in Dr. Ott's chemistry research lab, but "we" had begun.
Suddenly CS 143 was my favorite class. A few weeks later, as we sat side by side in the computer lab working on our programming, out of the blue, Brian asked me if I would like to go skiing with him on Saturday. It was said in such a nonchalant manner that I was certain my response would be met with indifference. Of course, I said, "yes," despite the fact that I had only been skiing one other time in my life. Later I learned that he had wanted to ask me out for weeks--just waited for the perfect moment. He wanted to sound/act casual so that if he was rejected, his pride would remain intact.

Brian picked me up and we drove to Sundance. I fell down A LOT. He was a natural. He was patient. I was frustrated, but I was on extra good behavior because I wanted to impress. Despite me being me, he didn't want the date to end. I didn't either. He picked me up later that night and we took in a movie--Terms of Endearment, to be exact.
That's how we met--one cold, dark, dreary January day.
I must remember that there is always a Spring.

25 comments:

Dixie Mom said...

I love BYU stories of meeting. I hope this happens to my sweet sophomore there this year. She is so discouraged with the guys and dating there. She is a girl who wants to be married so bad.
Thanks for sharing.

Ginger said...

Thank you for sharing. I love "how we met" stories... I ALWAYS wonder that! I love yours, by the way.

Kendra said...

I love hearing how people meet! Actually that is my favorite part of sacrament meetings, when people introduce themselves :)

Laura said...

After all these years, I don't think I ever heard the meeting story. You look so cute in that first picture but how is it that you actually look better in the last picture? Keith asked me to marry him on a very cold January day outside, on a dock, in Alexandria. He says I said yes just to get out of the cold, but 20+ years later, maybe I was serious with the yes! What a wonderful story!

Dean and Sheri said...

When I read the title of this post I could not wait to read it! I love "how we met" stories. Love them! Yours is wonderful, sweet and classic. And you two were such a beautiful couple...then AND now. Thank you for sharing.

thrasherswife said...

LOVE how we met stories... thank you for sharing yours... beautiful couple!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

awe cuteness! I love to read "How we met stories!"

Mom to Many said...

What a sweet story!
There is always Spring. And things always get better.

At girls camp last year the girls in our cabin all wanted to hear the leaders how we met sories.

Good times. :o)
Look for Spring.

Cheryl

Marianne said...

Ah Julie. This made me cry. And I already knew this story!! I love the "then" and "now" pictures. You two are such a great couple.

Jackietex said...

Terms of Endearment was the first movie I saw with my (future) husband.

Tammy said...

What a wonderful story :) The last picture of you both is fabulous !!! Many many more years together !

Life is good! said...

what a darling love story! things like that make january in utah bearable!

Lisa said...

Ahhhh...the January memories. I, too, returned to winter semester, resolved to just enjoy being, with no concern for the men all around. I had a full schedule, and had fun roommates...and then, late in that bleak January, someone popped into my life...forever! Thanks for reminding me how great it was (and is!)

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Julie - You're even cuter now than you were then! What an adorable couple. Hunny and I also met at BYU AND our first date was at Sundance. (It was summer though & we went to a play at the outdoor theater). Sundance is still one of my favorite places. Also, I received the pattern. Thank you so much!

Lacy said...

What a wonderful story! :) Thank you for sharing and helping me remember that good things do happen in January. You two are a very cute couple. My husband also served a mission to Argentina :)

Nichole said...

Wow, loved this. I love all of your stories. Your marriage and family are definitely gifts that you treasure! How lucky you all are.

Jennilyn said...

Nice. It has got to be hard to be the guy and work up the courage to do the asking. Non-chalant and gallant in one package!

2nd installment of story soon?!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Your pictures are adorable! And wow, each of you were a catch! Glad you found each other.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

p.s. The bell tower has something to do with MY how we met story!

Marla said...

Beautiful!

2busy said...

This is so lovely...What a beautiful couple you make.

2busy said...

This is so lovely...What a beautiful couple you make.

Amelia said...

I love it!

Cherie said...

I don't know how I missed so many posts. That picture at the end of the post is beautiful - You two are a GREAT looking couple!!
Love your story :-D

Valerie said...

I just happened to see this today, long after you posted it, since it was on your "You might also like" posts. I love hearing how people meet and fall in love. So sweet.