Thursday, December 2, 2010

Poor Patellas

This summer I wrote about my needy knee. Well, my genetically misaligned patellas have brought me to surgery on Monday (right knee cap is being replaced and the left knee cap is receiving a lateral release as a preventive measure.)

I will be in the hospital for 3 days and if my husband wasn't around to help me afterwards I would need to be in a rehab facility for 2 weeks.

I am feeling very melancholy. This is a big deal that I really don't want in my life. My knees used to work so well!

Timing is hard. Christmas is coming. I don't want to do it.

But. . . I can no longer squat to read the books on the lowest library shelf. Yoga and hiking are loves of the past. Stairs are slow and arduous and climbing the bleachers at my sons basketball games this week made me feel quite elderly. I can't even kneel to pray, and prayers are what I need most.

I can do hard things, right?

A dear friend made this pillow for me.
Just a few years ago this was my mantra as I struggled to the top of Mount Nebo and scaled the narrow canyons near Goblin Valley. I've already done many physically hard things, mentally hard things, spiritually hard things, and emotionally hard things. Can't I just be done?

I can do hard things. I can do hard things. I can do hard things.

(Prayers will definitely help too.)

22 comments:

Jenny said...

You are so good at doing hard things!

I am excited to see your new old athleticism post-op!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with bad knees. My husband is a Physical Therapist and rehabs knees all the time. You will have a new active life again. Promise.

Mom to Many said...

Oh, Julie. Ouch.
I hate knee trouble.
I am so sorry.

(( I'll be thinking of you Monday.))

Suzanne said...

I'll be thinking of you Monday and send up a little prayer for a successful operation and speedy recovery. Wishing you the very best!

Mommy Life With 5 said...

So sorry to hear your going through this ordeal. I'm praying that you heal fast and physical therapy goes well !!! What a great little pillow, with a great little message :)

Dixie Mom said...

Bless your heart Julie!! I think so many of us take for granted something so needed as our knees. I hope your surgery goes well. And while I'm on my knees today I'll be thinking of you.

Lesa said...

I hope all goes well. I will be thinking about you!

Fellars Family said...

Knee pain is no fun. Glad to hear that surgery will make it all better. I am sure you will recovery in no time since you are in good health and have such a positive attitude.

Laura said...

I'm so sorry! I know this is not the way you want to spend your time. Ouch but you will feel so much better when you are done. Those misaligned knees did pretty darn well for quite awhile. I will be praying for you! You can do it, I've seen you do remarkable things!

Shannon said...

You can do it and it will be so worth it in the end! Chin up! There are lots of us here, willing, and waiting to help. Call- or we might just show up!

Shauni said...

I remember when you did that VERY hard thing of climbing Mt. Nebo--you're amazing! Sorry for this hard thing. You'll be in our prayers.

Nichole said...

You can do hard things...

My grandpa had knee surgery on Tuesday and things went well. He is at home enjoying being pampered by my grandma I'm sure...

Try to enjoy the downtime! It's a great time to catch up on your reading & maybe even enjoy a few chic flicks with your girls! :)

Good luck!

Marla said...

Sorry to hear this. Prayers , and blessings sent your way. Marla Grace

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Wow, that is hard! Hopefully you can think about how good you'll have it after the surgery. Let people pamper you! Ask for chocolate.

Elaine said...

You can do it! This is just another hard thing you can be done with.

CLOTHED MUCH, a modest fashion blog

Hilary said...

Man, I'm sorry that really stinks. I hope that it goes by quickly.

Julie said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support. It really does help.

Jennifer said...

I will be remembering you in my prayers! Just remember... I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Jennilyn said...

Get well soon! Thinking of you.

Garden of Egan said...

I hope your surgery went well.
Now you have to take it easy and be nice to yourself. Better do it too cuz Santa is watching!

HUGS!

Suzanne said...

I was thinking about you today and hope that your surgery went well and that you are recovering comfortably! Thank you again for the nomination for Top Blog -- that was so sweet of you.

Marianne said...

I'm sorry about your dumb knees. Good luck with your surgery (it's probably over by now!!) Hang in there...it will be better in the long run, right?!!

XOXOXOX!!