Monday, December 20, 2010

Hinges


This ornament my mom sent us while serving as a missionary in Germany is my personal symbol of knee rehab.

I have never appreciated the hinges of my body more than I do now--knee cap resurfacing will do that I suppose.

Daily I pull and push my knee to greater and greater degrees of flexibility. Today at my first outpatient physical therapy appointment I was buoyed up with optimism. I am ahead of schedule and doing great. Pain is diminishing by minuscule amounts each day, and my weak quads are slowly remembering just what they can do.


Look at the bend in those knees! Hopefully within the next few weeks this will be me. In the meantime I am trying to be a good girl and count my blessings.

  1. I may have a six-inch scar, but it is a beautiful one--nice and slim.
  2. I was able to venture to the mall on Saturday and to Sacrament Meeting on Sunday--completely exhausted afterwards, but I escaped the house.
  3. I am walking without the aid of a walker or cane. I am slow and I limp, but I can do it.
  4. I have an incredible support group of people who love me.

"God Bless[es] us, every one!"

14 comments:

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Good job, Tiny Tim!

Lesa said...

I know you can do it too! Hang in there.

Laura said...

Yay! Pretty knees! Mine have scars from leg shaving accidents. Luckily yours are earned and not by klutziness!

Mom to Many said...

Keep working those knees Julie! :O)
Bend, bend, bend.

Cheryl

Natalie said...

I love the little hinged ornament and look forward to your pics in the same pose :) Your a super star Julie and great attitude, I love it.

Jenny said...

Love that ornament. I think we had one similar from Germany when I was little.
I am amazed at all you can already do.

Jennilyn said...

Great ornament! Good goals!

Suzanne said...

I love this post and that little ornament! I'm so glad that you are feeling well enough to get out for limited time periods. Even an hour makes a huge difference when you've been cooped up for days on end! Hope the progress continues!

Linsey said...

I am glad you are on the mend, physically and emotionally. Enjoy the holidays and being with family and especially, that you can walk unaided!

Marianne said...

MAN!! If you can bend like the guy in the second picture, you're even more awesome than I thought!! Keep up the good work!

Saimi said...

Yay!!! Congratulations I knew you could stick with it!!! I'm so happy you were able to get out of the house for a bit!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Merry Christmas1

Nichole said...

Hurrah!! :0)

Life is good! said...

glad you are feeling a bit better each day. i to appreciate my hinges, even though they ache sometimes, at least they work. have a very merry Christmas!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

. . . So thrilled that you are doing better!

Warmly, Michelle