Monday, December 27, 2010

The Aftermath

Image from Peter Spier's Christmas
I've always felt a sense of sadness for those poor evergreen trees that were not picked to grace someone's home at Christmas time. I also tend to attribute sorrow to those ornaments and holiday decorations that are now marked down and left as stragglers among store displays. Perhaps these feelings hail from childhood memories of Rudolph's island of misfit toys. Pitiful indeed.

Christmas is glorious, and one just needs to smile at its aftermath, I suppose.
We enjoy hiding small presents in BIG boxes.
Two days after Christmas and the living room is still strewn with gifts--goal is to have them all into bedrooms before the day's end.

Before an ounce of post holiday let-down seeps into my soul I will think of this week between Christmas and New Year's as a mini vacation. Brian is home. The kids are home. No big obligations. Time to relax, rejuvenate, and gear up for real life again on January 3.

13 comments:

Mom to Many said...

I love the pile! It is a familiar sight. We managed to lose a small toy part in the mess never to be seen again. How many times has that happened. No matter how hard we try. :o)

Good attitude Julie. Mini vacation. ((Hugs))

Lesa said...

That is a familiar sight at our house too. I love the time between now and New Years. My husband has the week off also. We are trying to keep our boys busy and happy :)

Sister Babcock said...

Here in St. Croix they keep celebrating. Tramps and fireworks and concerts starting on Dec. 30 and the Christmas Village opens with carnival rides and craft, food, and art booths. January 6 is Three Kings day and the Friday after is Children's Parade and the Saturday after is Adult Parade -- big carnival events. The kids don't go back to school until Jan. 10.

Dixie Mom said...

That's a great way to look at the mayhem...as a vacation! :)
I was thinking the same thing about the trees and wreaths left behind in the lots and the decor at the stores. On Christmas Eve I drove by a lot with the most beautiful, fresh, alpine trees (my favorite) and I was so sad knowing they had been cut and had no home.
And then I went to Target yesterday and I watched women fight over left over decor and other decor just being left there. How sad for that stuff?
As if stuff had feelings...but you know what I mean.

Life is good! said...

looks like a grand time was had by all. who gets to clean the grand time mess up? have a great week!

Saimi said...

HA! Love it!! I wouldn't mind leaving my tree up just a tad bit longer if it wasn't for he kitten my son brought home for the week.

That naughty playful kitty started dismantling my tree, it's a mess now and is ready for the take down!!

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Garden of Egan said...

Your title is perfect for that picture! Hilarious!

Lacy said...

I love the pile of boxes and wrapping... looks like you made some wonderful memories...

I really enjoy Christmas, but for some reason I look forward to the New Year... I'm ready to put everything away and start over fresh... and I must admit... I love to go to those clearance sales and find a home for those "unwanted" ornaments and decorations... it's the best. I have this weird idea that they'll be happy now that they have a home :)

Susi said...

Wow, what a feeling of sadness that top picture gives!!!!

Cherie said...

Julie I adore the picture of your Christmas aftermath - to me it says Happy Family Christmas!!!
I love the week between Christmas and New years when everyone is home and happy and you CAN relax!
Have a Happy New Year!

NatureGirl said...

OH NO!

Amelia said...

I call that "CrisMess" at my house & it comes every year after Christmas.