Monday, November 1, 2010

Warm Milk with a Twist

My daughter introduced me to this warm and cozy snack that both comforts and satisfies when those late night cravings hit.


Fill a mug/cup with MILK and microwave until warm/hot (whatever works for your palette.)

Stir in:
  • 2 packets of Splenda (or sugar)
  • vanilla and/or almond extract
and any combination of the following:
  • ground cinnamon
  • ground nutmeg
  • ground allspice
  • ground cloves
  • ground cardamon
  • ground ginger

This recipe is very loose--suggestions really. Be adventurous and try all sorts of combinations.

My favorite is the Splenda, a drop or two of almond extract, and a pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and cardamon. (Cardamon was a delicious discovery.)

Give it a try and tell me what you think. What would YOUR recipe be?

11 comments:

Laura said...

Perfect! Allison has been looking for a warm drink that doesn't have chocolate because of her migraines. We will have to try this! If we were to use sugar instead, how much do you think? Thanks!

Jenny said...

This does sound delicious, but I keep thinking of how I could make it chocolate...

I am going to try this out though. The the cardamom, ginger, nutmeg ish combo. Cardamom is my new favorite spice for pumpkin things instead of cinnamon.

Lesa said...

Looks really good. I love the pretty cup it is in too.

You should submit your recipe over at Momza's link up today.

Mom to Many said...

Sounds wonderful!
Reminds me of Chai Tea. (Made with Herbal Tea of course. I use Orange herb tea and milk.)

It beats eating cake at midnight right?

-Cheryl

Julie said...

Laura, I might go for 1 T of real sugar, but perhaps it would be best to start with just 1 tsp then add to it, if you want. :)

Dixie Mom said...

I never was a warm milk drinker until recently and now I'm a big fan. It is really satisfying.

Marla said...

Looks yummy!I am a new follower.We have many of the same interests!Blessings,Marla Grace

Natalie said...

Sounds great. I personally add a TBsp of vanilla protein, blend it up to frothy and then I have a warm breakfast to go on cold days. Thanks for sharing all the other seasonings.

Julie said...

Natalie, I didn't think of that. Great idea.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Hmmm...makes me think of chocolate too.

Hilary said...

Ooo.. that sounds so good.
I always get almond steamed milk when I'm at a fancy coffee place with coworkers. It somehow makes me feel so grown-up.
Sad, but true.