Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Placemat to Pillow

Several months ago I ran across a tutorial of how to turn a placemat into a throw pillow. It fit my personal crafting requirements--quick, easy, and inexpensive with immediate gratification being a must. I've been searching for just the right placemat ever since.

Last week I found one at Target. It fits my style. It fits my decor, and was easily transformed into a fun Christmas lumbar type pillow.


This is what I did:


Start with a placemat that has a backing where two pieces of fabric have been sewn together and easily separated with a seam ripper.


Stuff the newly created pillow form. (I used leftover poly-fil I had on hand.)


Sew it back up. That's it! So easy.


Many thanks to Random Thoughts of a SUPERMOM for the great idea!

20 comments:

music notes said...

That is the easiest CUTEST thing I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing! I also love the chairs you place them on.

Dixie Mom said...

So darling!

Laura said...

I could do that! I have a seam ripper! Yay!

Mommy Life With 5 said...

What a fabulous idea :) I see so many placemats that look adorable ! Thanks for sharing ~~

Nichole said...

So pretty and what a great idea! I really need to take a sewing class.

Sister Babcock said...

After holiday sales usually have tons of cute place mats. Great idea.

Mom to Many said...

Love it! Great job Julie!

:) Cheryl

Michele said...

that is so cute, and I could totally do that!!

Kelli @ RTSM said...

Julie your pillow turned out so cute! Target always has the best placemats too! I will have to look for the holiday ones next time I'm shopping.

VedetteTX said...

Brilliant! I am definitely trying this soon!

Rachel said...

This is great! I have been looking for a simple holiday craft - thank yu for sharing!

Rachelle said...

We're totally inspired! Cheyenne and I have found our next project!

Suzanne said...

I've made a bunch of these -- even gave them last year as presents for friends. I love yours! It's such a cute print and it makes up into a fabulous pillow. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Life is good! said...

love that pillow! oh and the idea but especially the pillow. thanks!

Kendra said...

That is a GREAT idea!!! I am going to make some for sure! :)

Mormon Mommy Blogs said...

That is awesome! I think that is something I could actually do! I'm going to scouring the stores now for place mats!

Thanks for linking up!

Karen Peterson said...

I would have never thought of this in a million years. And now I totally want one, too.

Elaine Shandra said...

That's awesome! Love it and definitely going to try it out! Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

that's such a cute idea!

Lara said...

Oh my gosh! It's great! Now I'm going to have to see if I can find some cute ones for Christmas, too. Unfortunately, we have no Target or I'd look for that exact one! :)