Friday, November 19, 2010

Paperwhites

My Grandma Carlson taught me about paperwhites (narcissus) and how easy it is to force their blooms "in the bleak midwinter".


I love this method because no soil is involved and it is fun to see the roots meander through the stones when using a clear planter. I found this glass bowl at my local thrift store, but I found a second one at Walmart this week for $2. The stones are from the dollar store, and the paperwhites are from a nursery (10 for $7.99).


To assemble, simply fill the dish with pebbles, nestle the bulbs inside (I used five for this 7 1/2 inch container), and add water.

Place in a sunny location, maintain the water level, and watch nature go to work.


In several weeks the stems will grow tall resulting in beautiful fragrant white flowers, hopefully like this:

photo source

Remember, you have until midnight tonight to enter my "thank you giveaway".

9 comments:

Dixie Mom said...

I have never grown paperwhites...can you believe it? I don't know why...just looked too hard. But you've made a believer out of me! I may have to try it this year.

Laura said...

I've always wanted to do this but didn't know how! Thanks to you, I now do. You are always there for me in so many ways!

Mom to Many said...

What a beautiful way too display them. :O)

Saimi said...

Oooooo, very pretty! What a cool idea!!

Lesa @ music notes said...

Very pretty, thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Gorgeous! It looks easy too, so I might just try it!

Patti Hanan said...

I have always thought paperwhites are beautiful. I didn't know they were so easy to grow. I'm going to try this, Julie. Thank you!

Shauni said...

Love this...totally trying it!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Thanks for reminding me about paper whites! I would love to do this!

Warmly, Michelle