Saturday, November 13, 2010

Musical Orbs

The recent chilly weather has my creative juices percolating again. All I feel like doing is staying home, staying warm, and getting crafty.

Have you noticed the decorating spheres that are all the rage as accessories these days? I don't happen to own any, but when I saw Miss Mustard Seed's sheet music spheres, I wanted to give them a try. They are inexpensive, easy, and fast--my kind of craft.


Supplies include old sheet music, a foam ball, and Mod Podge. I bought my sheet music at a local thrift store. (I couldn't bear to part with any of my own.)

To begin, cut the sheet music into strips (mine were about 1 1/2 inches wide).


Smear the Mod Podge onto the sphere and apply the strips of music.


Decoupage the entire ball, smoothing it out as you go.


It's a pretty messy job, but it spoke to my inner child.


I like them next to the picture of my dad as a young man playing the piano.

Miss Mustard Seed gets all the credit for this fun idea.

20 comments:

Mommy Life With 5 said...

I love it :) Looks fabulous !

Jennifer said...

Love it!

Shannon said...

I could totally do that. Thanks for the idea!

Deb said...

I like yours better than hers. Yours look bigger. And they look beautiful by the picture of your dad. Good idea.

Dean and Sheri said...

Oh, I love these! They would look great on our antique piano. The only problem is...I avoid crafts and sewing as much as possible due to my lack of ability. BUT I think I could actually handle this one. Hmmm...I think I hear me chanllenging myself! Also, LOVE the photo of your dad. Wonderful.

Ailinh Harris said...

very cool! They turned out so nice.

Lynn said...

Putting them next to the picture of your dad at the piano is such a nice touch.

Suzanne said...

Oh, I love these -- so beautiful and sentimental!

Mom to Many said...

Verrry cute!

Lesa said...

I want to try these. Very fun!

Linsey said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. The photos her are just beautiful.

Stephanie said...

very cool

Saimi said...

Love, love, love that idea!! I have a son who plays the piano and I have a great picture of him playing. I am so going to do that!! I love how you placed the balls by your dads photo.

Awesome!!

Marla said...

Love it! so perfect next to the picture of your Dad!What a wonderful picture of your Dad!Blessings ,Marla Grace

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Yours look great! It is a messy project, but I'm with you on liking projects that are cheap, fast and easy. Thanks for sharing it with me. :)

ladyozma said...

Oh wow, those are super duper cool! I kind of wish I had a piano to put some on!

Nichole said...

wow, i love this idea. i have been wanting to buy & add a few balls to a bowl that i have, but making them sounds even better!

Marianne said...

These are awesome!! (I love it that the messiness speaks to your inner child!!)

Hilary said...

awh, I love those... esp. the reminder of your dad!

Erin said...

Wow, those musical orbs are awesome! I love them.