Friday, November 5, 2010

His Name is Berkeley

Actually, his middle name is Berkeley, but Berkeley it is nonetheless. His daddy insisted it would be so, thus, finding a first name that would be a suitable companion was a challenge. His older sisters called him "little boy," but after a few weeks I insisted they just call him Travis.

Long torso, long legs, with a distinctive masculine face, that was foreign to a household known only for girl babies. Diapering now required quick reflexes and his older sisters soon had a real life lesson in human anatomy. It had been five years since an infant graced our home and a male one was unique.

When explaining our two-tier family to others, Brian calls it the "graduate school gap", but we both know better. Those years were rough. I battled depression and other issues which were peeled away, examined, and then discarded layer by layer (like an onion) through several years of therapy. We heeded wise counsel and waited.


But, when I was ready, I was very ready. My other babies were loved and happily anticipated, but he coming into our home was a symbol of personal triumph. Berkeley. He will be named Berkeley after our sojourn of growth and experience in that place.


No longer a "little boy", at 15 he stands 6'2". I sometimes stare at this boy/man remembering the toddler who insisted each night that I sing the "choo choo train song" as I tucked him into bed. I look at his size 13 feet and man-sized calves and wonder how it ever came to be.

Luckily he sometimes still needs his mom--needs my reassurance. His life now is much more than Matchbox cars and Legos. It is rife with homework, percussion, basketball, friends, and girls--those strange complex creatures that even his sisters didn't prepare him for.

He is growing up and I soberly realize that I really only have him as my own for a few short years.

So, today, I will celebrate him--his subtle wit and his occasional unintentional displays of humor. (Yes, click on the link in case you missed it the first time.)

Happy Birthday, Travis Berkeley!
 Your momma loves you so!

22 comments:

Jennilyn said...

A 19 year old son comes quickly for us, just four months away. Sobering that cute baby boys grow into strapping young men, lower voices, hair-prickly kisses good night.

Nice-loving, honest-real, good-uplifting post.

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday, Travis! You've got a great son. Height's not a bad thing, especially when you need something off the top shelf!

Dixie Mom said...

What a wonderful birthday tribute. I love hearing the story of how he came to be. And what a unique name, made all the more so with such a great background. Thanks for sharing. I sometimes think that maybe I should have had another baby after my "break". But then it got to be 10 years later and it seemed to far away. But I never got a boy and I think that's why.

Lisa said...

I love your posts! What I wanted to know was, why were you up at 4am to post this??

Julie said...

Lisa, I would never be up at 4:00 am by choice. I just scheduled it to post at that time. :)

Saimi said...

What a sweet tribute! It's amazing how fast those boys start turning into men.

Was it just yesterday mine three little toe heads were toddlers? Now my youngest is 20, Yikes!!

Marianne said...

We love him, too. What a great young man.

Wade is interested in percussion. How do I proceed??

Jenny said...

I think it's kind of hard to believe from the photo that you had a five year gap in between children since you look about 18.

I will always LOVE his precious baby hair.

Nichole said...

Awe...touching post.
Happy Birthday Berkeley!

Lesa said...

Very nice post and I love the middle name!

Natalie said...

It's true they grow so fast, I was Travis's little sunbeam teacher for a while :) I really appreciate your honesty here, many suffer dark days behind closed doors and its so great to see the blessings coming out the other side.

Rachel said...

I LOVE this post.

You have such a gift. :)

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Happy Birthday to your Travis!

Mom to Many said...

What a beautiful post Julie. :o)

Jules said...

Hi Julie, what a handsome young man - you must be so proud! Jules x

NatureGirl said...

How beautiful Julie...thank you for sharing. I too have a 15 year old, 6 foot tall man in my home that I cannot believe once fit in my arms...

landbeck said...

Julie, I graze my wife's list of linked blogs sometimes, and am glad to have seen this post. You have a wonderful blog and we are delighted at the chance our BYU-kids have had to get to know you and your family. Thank you for posting so honestly about your history and the triumph of your son's arrival.

Cherie said...

I noticed that you visited my blog and so I wanted to come and say "Hi".
I love this sweet post to your son. They grow so fast. I thought my 15 year old had big feet - ha ha - his are a 12 but Berkeley's are even bigger. These boys who are young but look like men!
He is a handsome guy!
I also loved hearing your in between baby story - it is similar to mine and so I understand maybe just a little what this boy means to you!

Cherie :-D

Laura said...

What a lovely tribute to Travis! He is a handsome young man. Rachel is right, you do have a gift!

Marla said...

Ahh!Sweet,they grow way to fast.Blessings,Marla

McFamily said...

It is a beautiful tribute to you both. Thanks for sharing.

Shauni said...

Love you and your wonderful family! I had no idea about the reasons behind "gap". Thank you for sharing and for being the amazing person you are. When I learn of huge obstacles overcome by people I admire, it strengthens me in dealing with my own obstacles.