Thursday, October 7, 2010

To Infinity and Beyond


The infinity sign became very familiar to me in college as I "manipulated" it during the three semesters of calculus required for my statistics major. I was in the midst of my second semester of calculus when Brian and I started dating. As a chemistry major he too, was very familiar with this mathematical figure.

This image symbolizes infinity and to us (freshly in love) it meant that our love would go on forever and ever. It is found scattered throughout the love letters we sent back and forth during our long-distance engagement.

In graduate school Brian was required to take a machining class and he made me a brass heart one Valentine's day complete with stand. Of course, he engraved the infinity symbol into it.


Years ago, while perusing the wares on Telegraph Avenue, we spied a ring that we HAD to purchase. It really was a love knot, but to us it was our infinity sign.


While living in Virginia Brian gave me a jewelry box with a name plate on top. The shop keeper insisted he didn't have the infinity sign character, but Brian confidently suggested he use a sideways 8.


Just a few years ago Brian had a gold ring made (exactly like the first one we bought in Berkeley) to go with my gold wedding ring.

A mathematical symbol, yes, but it is a great reminder to the two of us. To love and to BE loved. . . forever. The effort and sacrifice is worth it.

I am not always very lovable, but I guess I have to work it out.

11 comments:

Dixie Mom said...

That is beautiful! What a wonderful symbol that you can share. The meaning is perfect.

Shauni said...

So romantic!!!

Lesa said...

I love this post. Thanks for sharing. Your kids are lucky to have parents in love!

Lisa said...

I am blown away AGAIN by how gorgeous these pictures of you guys are! You are both very photogenic!

Marianne said...

This is a great post, Julie. I love it! I'm sure your kids love it, too.

Nichole said...

Such special gifts! Loved it.

Natalie said...

I love this post, thanks for sharing your strength and endurance. Eternity or infinity, it's perfect.

Patty Ann said...

Love your symbol! We designed our own wedding rings with our own symbol on them. So, I can totally relate to this. Nice job and I love the pics. Thank you for sharing your eternity with us.

Momza said...

That is so thoughtful. Love it.
Thanks for sharing!

Giggles said...

We're both computer people and we've occasionally used the binary or hex equivalents of letters to communicate. We do not include the terminator symbol any more though (that tells the computer it is the end of the line) because there is no end for us. We wrote "love" in binary all over our wedding and let it just go on forever. And his wring is a stylized möbius strip as well. I love these symbols of infinity that we can have in our lives. I love your infinity.

Stopping by from MMB.

Charlotte said...

I love that you've adopted the infinity symbol as your own. Very cool.