Sunday, September 19, 2010

Just the Two of Us

My brother-in-law, Jerry, took this picture of Brian and I as the newlyweds were leaving for their honeymoon. I think it captures how, in the end, it really comes down to just the two of us.


As we watched Rachel and David go, it struck me deeply that she really wasn't mine any more. She was his and that was how it should be. It would be just the two of them together from now on--working it out and working it through.



I remember when Brian and I left on our honeymoon and "just the two of us" began.

Twenty-six years and four kids later, we are happy. It has not been easy. It has not been graceful. There has been much learning and growth, but I am glad that in the end it will be just the two of us. Our challenge is to keep it strong NOW so when all the kids leave, we won't look at each other and wonder "who in the world are you and what are we going to do now?"

8 comments:

Nichole said...

Wonderful thoughts and great pics. I got chills when I read that she wasn't really yours anymore. It's true. She is her husbands and her husband is hers. :) Marriage is so beautiful. I wish them the best and congrats on your marriage too. Couples with dedication are always an inspiration!
I left a blog award on my page for you!
Have a great night.

Jennilyn said...

Sweet true thoughts. I LOVE seeing your brand new couple photos.

Lesa @ music notes said...

What neat photos. I agree. In the end it is "just the two of you." My husband and I talk a lot about how that time will be. We look forward to that time, but right now we are enjoying the children still at home.

When my daughter got married several years ago, I couldn't stop thinking, "I want you to get married, but did I teach you everything." Then I realized I did my best and it was her time to go be a wife to her wonderful husband.

It's hard to let them go.

Have a good day!

Patti Hanan said...

I could really identify with this post. My husband and I have been married over 30 years, and some of the happiest days of my life have been watching our own children getting married. You have a beautiful blog and I am adding you to my blog honor roll at Grateful Heart.
Patti

Marianne said...

Oh great. Now I'm bawling (at work!) I love your perspective, Julie. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Shauni said...

Love this. And love the beautiful pictures.

Sister Babcock said...

It is good to start planning to serve a mission together.

Mom to Many said...

Well said Julie.
It all happens so fast, yet it is not fast at the same time. And grace... Life is much more messy than that.
But, it is worth it.