Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer Sensations

While the kids and cousins took a little hike with Grandma during our recent Sundance excursion, I stayed put (due to an uncooperative knee) and took pictures of some late summer sensations.

Have you ever really looked at a thistle flower? Perfection.


A father walking by with his young daughter pointed these out as stinging nettle. Was he correct?

These look like wild snapdragons to me.

Yarrow?

One good thing about not being as mobile as I would like is that I am forced to slow down, look around me, and "smell the foliage".


Linking to Bloomin' Tuesday today.

11 comments:

Sister Babcock said...

beautiful photos

Suzanne said...

These are beautiful photos. Love the bee gathering nectar! So pretty.

Lisa said...

I think he's right about it being stinging nettle, but you could always touch it to find out for sure!

Marianne said...

Julie, I broke my foot on Sunday. I appreciate your comment about being forced to slow down and look around. So far I've just been feeling super sorry for myself and lamenting all the things I want to do and can't. I think today I'll try to enjoy the snail's pace!!

Racquel said...

I love all your blooms, but my favorite has to be the Thistle. :)

shannon i olson said...

everything is nice! beautiful thistle photo.

Jean said...

I have to agree with the majority. The thistle pictures are amazing. It is nice to slow down , especially in summer when we seem to be running all the time. Jean

Zoey said...

I agree thistle is a wonder of nature!

Sherry said...

Your photos are wonderful. Slowing down is so good for all of us. When I join Bloomin Tuesday I find that taking the time to look around me a appreciate what I see feels great.

Linda said...

You are getting so very good with your camera. Beautiful photos. You captioned "yarrow?" Neither the yellow flower or the white flower below is yarrow. I believe the white flower is called Queen Anne's lace. But that's only a fairly sure guess.

Linda said...

Retraction: I was up at Sundance today and definitely your white flower is Yarrow. On the hike to Stewart Falls we saw a lot of Queen Anne's Lace and so I had that in mind. Apologies for the incorrect correction. Oops!