Monday, July 26, 2010

Mother's Green Thumb

My mom has graciously and eagerly taken on the assignment of helping me get our yard in tip-top shape for the upcoming wedding reception.

Her landscape in lush Virginia was the pride of the neighborhood, however it is a real challenge keeping plants blooming until August 13 (the wedding day) in our thirsty desert. Mom tirelessly makes the half hour drive from her place to ours almost daily to water, prune, and fertilize.

She was anxious to see how mandavilla grew in Utah so she planted two of these tropical plants. They certainly don't do as well as they do in Virginia, but the blooms are still impressive.





At first I was a bit skeptical when Mom pulled these blond baskets out of the back seat of her car, but they prove to be ideal containers for colorful impatiens. I love how they look nestled in amongst the bishop's weed and aspen trees.


We dragged this galvanized steel barrel and old wooden boxes out from under our deck--surprisingly perfect vessels for more Summer blooms.



Thanks so much Mom!


I am trying something new and linking to Bloomin' Tuesday today.

11 comments:

Suzanne said...

Your garden looks fabulous. Thank heavens for impatiens. They provide so much vivid color. We've had 4 weddings this time of year and (since we live in Colorado) I can certainly sympathize with trying to keep all alive and looking well until the big day. Sending you lots of luck -- but from the looks of things you won't need it!

Julie said...

Thanks so much, Suzanne!

perennialgardener said...

Those baskets and other containers add some bright spots to your garden. :)

Zoey said...

Oh, what fun to be decorating a garden for a wedding! I bet Mom is enjoying all of that work. It looks fabulous!

Darla said...

You know you can send your mom right on over to my house! What wonderful ideas, love the pop up color here and there.

Sister Babcock said...

I have seen hundreds of different kinds of mandavilla here on St. Croix but didn't know what they were called. Beautiful pinks, and whites and yellows and blues, all different colors. We got the wedding invitation yesterday, wish we could come. Have a wonderful wedding.

Tracy said...

How beautiful! I love your Mom. Does she want to adopt me? :) Good luck with the wedding!

Laura said...

Fabulous -- both the garden and your mom. I don't think she's changed a bit! Can't wait to see all the pictures of the big day!

Jean said...

Welcome to Bloomin' Tuesday! The containers of impatiens are perfect! I just love old garden art. The baskets add a great touch of color. Now could you send your Mom to New York? I'm digging out and could use the help! lol! Jean

Paula said...

Your yard looks perfect for a wedding, We had 3 weddings in 2007 so I know the prep it takes and you have done it!
Paula in Idaho

Mom to Many said...

I'll bet you are so excited for the big day! Great job on the color!