Saturday, July 10, 2010

Just a Pile of Rocks

I have new found gratitude for rock piles.


The hike to Delicate Arch became daunting at one point when all I could see was an expanse of stone. This, of course, came right after we passed a disgruntled family telling us it was "too far". They had given up and turned back. Just around the corner another exhausted woman complained about how lengthy and arduous the trek was.

I looked forward and saw only an ominous boulder.


I continued onward, searching for "the path of least resistance." I am sure I passed several of these rock piles (cairns) before I actually noticed them. When I did finally associate them as "leading the way", I was almost giddy. I had seen such before, but only in wooded areas and definitely not so elaborate. I was grateful to the dear Park Ranger who blazed the trail and rekindled my optimism.


Lessons can be learned from a mere pile of rocks. Stop focusing on the sun blazing down, the parched throat, the precarious knee. Look ahead. Search for The Way. Find joy in the rock piles and smile.

5 comments:

Sister Babcock said...

nice lesson.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I like it, Julie. Can't wait to see you. We're here for 5 more weeks.

Mom to Many said...

I like rock piles too.

Lisa said...

Great lesson I need to remember. The hike to Delicate Arch is rough and there were many moments I wondered if I would make it. One of my daughters was good enough to stay with slow Mom and she was a joy to hike with. We kept moving and then stopping as needed and looking for the cairns and we finally made it. What a wonderful reward it was in the end! We kept encouraging people as we went back and told them it was all worth it!

Jennilyn said...

I love the cairns, too. We saw some along the river we white-water rafted, and they were encouraging. I am trying to figure out how to incorporate some-or the idea of them, into our landscape, front yard.