Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Woodpeckers

Last Fall as the leaves were turning colors this woodpecker lit upon our back deck. I grabbed my camera and took these two pictures of what I believe is a female Northern Flicker. (I Googled it.)


In January as I was walking up the sidewalk to our home and neared this Aspen tree I heard a distinct pecking sound coming from inside. It was then I noticed some rather obtrusive holes in its trunk. Was this where she was nesting for the Winter??!!


Last week (now May) as I was leaving to pick Travis up from Timpview I was SO excited to discover TWO little woodpeckers flitting around the hole in that same Aspen tree. The mama was no where to be seen, but these two made me feel giddy, happy, awed, and hopeful that they would stick around a while.




Stick around, that is, until Linus saunters by.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

That is fantastic! I heard a woodpecker today and it made me think of Virginia. Maybe because anything nature-ish automatically gets put into my "I wish I was in Virginia" section of my brain.

Shannon said...

I hear them all the time but can never find them. Cool pictures! Enjoy the new "neighbors"!

Lisa said...

We used to have one that would peck in the stucco on our back patio. Somehow, he would just perch there vertically on the wall. It would scare us to death when we'd forget he was there and walk outside, only to have him swoop rapidly overhead and fly away.

mary ann said...

I love these pictures, Julie! The creatures around us are all going crazy. Last night my kids and I saw a deer cross the street way over here in the west (could she possibly be living in an orchard?) and a skunk waddle across the street on the way back. This morning there are two mallards napping on our front lawn! I would wish for woodpeckers, but we have a cunning cat too.

Marianne said...

I've heard more woodpeckers this spring than I have in recent memory. We've got one trying to build a nest in the power pole behind the house!

Sally said...

Woodpeckers are so amusing when they are hammering on the power poles! Just to clarify, the little black and white birds are Chickadees. They are really active and fun to watch! Happy to see so many people enjoying the birds!