Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sleeping, Creeping, and Leaping



Six years ago we planted two wisteria vines to camouflage a chain link fence that separates our backyard from a church parking lot and to give us a bit of privacy. At the time my dad, who had a masterful green thumb, reminded me to be patient. Perennials take time, he said. The first year they "sleep", the second year they "creep", and the third year they "leap."

It appears that our wisteria vines doubled my need for patience, given the fact that it took TWO years to perform each of those tasks. Last year the "poor dears" only had a dozen or so blossoms, but LOOK AT THEM NOW!


They have LEAPT!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

So pretty! I've never heard the "sleeping, creeping, leaping" adage. I'll have to remember that.

Marianne said...

WOW!! That's just plain gorgeous! Your patience finally paid off!

Laura said...

Absolutely fabulous! Love wisteria!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

That's wonderful! It's a nice way to remember your dad too. We're doing the exact same thing on our front chain link fence. We can't wait until the whole thing looks like yours!!

Jennilyn said...

GOrgeous! Wow! It makes me want to go buy a wisteria! I don't know anything about them, but that purple is perfect! Do they need support?

mary ann said...

Another friend had great success by beating her wisteria! You can see it and read about it here: http://www.chocolateandgarlic.com/2010/05/wisteria-gone-wild/
It looks gorgeous! Congrats.

Charlene said...

Wow. They are beautiful.

Joy For Your Journey said...

They are so pretty! I am sure looking at them now brings you a lot of joy. And maybe because I spent the evening last night babysitting my 3 month old grandson, I was thinking the sleep/creep/leap adage could work for people too! :-)